Transaction Chronicles: The Advantage Timeline (Edition 6)

Advantage

Welcome back to the sixth edition of Transaction Chronicles where we look at the history of my trades, whether good, bad or ugly over the twenty-two season period that I was General Manager in our great league.

To :nya:

(S35) Tony Stark - 205 TPE

To :col:

S37 HSK 3rd (Passed Pick) 

S38 NYA 2nd (Percy Miller)

Tony Stark isn’t normally the type of player that you go on to celebrate.  After all, he is a player who started great but by the time he hit the VHL, he had become inactive and was what seemed to be a depth player at best.  That being said, he was someone I knew from other leagues and I knew that by getting him cheap, it could be a worthwhile investment.  That is exactly what I did and he ended up returning briefly and finishing his career strong with 405 points and 955 hits in 576 games.  While perhaps he didn’t live up to his potential, he solidified himself as a two-way second line forward that brought a lot of value to teams.

What he was traded for wasn’t exactly nothing, regardless of the fact that the Helsinki 3rd was used to draft absolutely nobody.  The S38 2nd round pick would hold the true value as the pick would be later used to draft Percy Miller, who would go on to a solid but short career with 207 points in 288 games.  Had he stuck around longer instead of having a short and controversial career, this might be a more even trade but I can’t say I regret it with how well Stark rebounded down the road.

To :nya:

S37 VAS 1st (Tom Slaughter)

S37 HSK 3rd (Lebron King Gonzalez)

S38 VAS 3rd (Passed Pick)

Damien Sandow

Guido Schwarz Esq.

To :oldvas:

Keiji Toriyama

S37 NYA 4th (Passed Pick)

First, obviously Keiji Toriyama had a great career as we already have acknowledged.  He recorded 593 points in 503 career VHL games and really took off the season he went to New York.  That was his breakout year and he was pretty much a star the rest of the way.  Due to only acquiring him for a second round pick, I decided to sell high on his value with my core already taking place centering around the Season 36 and 37 drafts.  The trade reaction was pretty hilarious with many pointing out the clear win for me at the time and sadly shitting on Corco who was just trying to get Vasteras to a point where they could win the Continental Cup.  Unfortunately for him, time would only prove that the skeptics were correct.

In return for Toriyama, I can’t help but feel I hit a homerun.  To start, Guido Schwarz Esq became a potent sniper for the rest of his career and played a big role on the Americans second line for a while, recording 220 goals and 495 points in 504 games.  In addition, I acquired Damien Sandow who was a solid second line depth acquisition with 207 points and 548 hits in 359 games.  I also acquired three draft picks, and while the later picks didn’t pay off, the Season 37 Vasteras 1st certainly did and was one of the biggest acquisitions I ever made as a General Manager.

Tom Slaughter was the selected player with that first round pick, and he alone would have made this deal worth it, regardless of the value of the rest of the players involved.  Slaughter went on to a long career that included six seasons with New York that saw him win multiple Continental Cups and several individual trophies.  For his career, he would go on to record 322 goals, 516 assists and 838 points in 576 career games with both the Americans and the Stockholm Vikings.  He was elected to the VHL Hall of Fame and goes down as a legendary center in our league’s history.  Safe to say, this trade was crucial to my dynasty’s development and was a huge win for me.