Why I think the Sponsor's Shield Was Iffy

Beketov

• Commissioner

This isn't gonna be as much of a discussion as my articles have been in the past; and hell it's been a bit since I've one one on account of simming giving me the full cap easier. I mean I likely even have the full cap this week already but I bought the uncapped TPE which means I need to write these things.

Anyway, I want to talk about something that has gained a bit of traction in recent weeks: brands. More specifically, why I think they didn't go over quite as well as we kinda hoped / planned they would.

When the brands and the Sponsor's Tournament were announced there was a lot of hype around them which was great. People wanted to get signed to a good brand quickly and there was hype and everyone was happy. So what happened between that and the tournament which was, to put it bluntly, a little lacklustre? In my opinion, simply time. I was concerned about this happening when we initially announced them but was hoping we found a balance that I don't think we struck. Ultimately all the hype died because of the time between brands being announced and the tournament which happened over a season later. The idea was to give us time to have everything in place which is a noble enough goal but ultimately things were basically in place by the time the next off-season rolled around which means that by the time the tournament actually showed up the hype was dead. Also, Haterade played like ass (contrary to what our lineup would imply) so maybe that doesn't help either but you get my point.

So yeah, I guess that's just my little rant. I don't think Brands themselves are a horrible idea but the hype around them completely died off because people honestly forgot about the tournament until it was basically done. What are your thoughts? Was it doomed to fail from the beginning or was it just a case of poor timing and we should have announced it during the season a tournament would be held? Let me know what you think.

If the hype is already dead, why continue going forward with them from season to season? Especially considering it's going to be another 3 off-seasons until the next tournament.

Unless this as a hole became a "once every three season" thing where the whole process is done over and over again every 3 years.

Edited by Fire Hakstol

6 hours ago, Fire Hakstol said:

If the hype is already dead, why continue going forward with them from season to season? Especially considering it's going to be another 3 off-seasons until the next tournament.

Unless this as a hole became a "once every three season" thing where the whole process is done over and over again every 3 years.

I hope not - I don't want to have to say no to the teams I don't sign with more than once.