Hometown Hero: Owen May

FacebookFighter

A recent interview with Owen May is available on the Radio.com app and the wgr550 website. The transcript is available here in VHL.com

Howard: Good morning, or should I say good afternoon Owen

Owen May: Good morning guys, how is it back home?

Jeremy: Could be better. A little warmer but I'm guessing it's no different there?

O: No not ať all.

H: So the hometown kid with aspirations for the VHL, you've had a quite different journey to the World's top league. In fact you didn't start hockey until you were a junior in high school. So how have you come this far?

O: It was definitely a difficult road. I started my soccer career over in Rochester with the Jr. Rhinos and earned an invite to Basel when I was no older than 10. But my coaches have been the main reason for my success so far.

J: You can't put this all on coaches. You have a total of 7 years experience which is significantly less than most players in the draft. You're stats show nothing equating you to a newcomer.

O: Well it was definitely awkward at first. I never felt comfortable on my skates and found myself almost like a spring chicken. I was really nervous, so much that I would puke before games even though I knew I wasn't playing. 

H: That sounds rather difficult what help you get through the jitters?

O: My coach at the time, coach Dolgberg over the summer spent countless hours with me. I started taking notes in a notebook and began analyzing film of myself. Dolg[berg] and I spent many of day and night sitting by the TV looking at film and doing visual training.

H: So senior year, you're basically gifted the starting job despite only appearing in 4 games. What was the environment like? The pressure get to you all the same?

O: Well it was definitely not the steadiest ship. There were a lot of parents upset that I was given the starting position. Some rather unpleasant things were said to me by my teammates and their parents. It wasn't a welcoming environment, but to be honest it got rid of my jitters because I just wanted to prove them wrong. Once I started to play well the displeasure from my teammates disappeared bit the parents were relentless.

J: Well, you turned out to be a great asset for their team, no one can deny that.

H: That is the world we live in unfortunately. But I gotta ask. How did you find Dominik Hašek? Probably the best goalie to ever come through Buffalo.

O: It was all by chance really. I had put my name out there and the only team willing to sign me was HC Pardubice. Dom only came for a quick visit during a summer training camp and another coach told him my story and he chose to stick around for a bit and help coach me. 

J: Is that we he said to you or did he at least try to hide his true ambitions?

O: Haha, He actually picked on me the first time.

H: Why's that?

O: Well the first practice he was at I was so nervous, I let some soft ones in. When we got a water break, I do what I do every time and I go write notes in my notebook.

J: Sorry to butt in but what exactly do you put in this notebook.

O:I typically put the situations inside the notebook, where my success rates are with one timers, rebounds, Odd man rushes and all that stuff. Let's just say I'll be a great a goalie coach because I have notes in everything I've done and every puck movement.

J: I'd very much like to see that notebook

H: You'd like to see anything analytical. But I digress. So before we talk about your notes the entire show, why was Hašek picking on you.

O: I can't really remember what he said but it was something along the lines of calling me a deer in headlights and then calling me a nerd for my note book haha.

It was all in good fun and it actually calmed me down. I got settled in and put in a good show and at the end of they day he said he'd coach me.

H: How was it training under him? He was often seen in a negative light for his lack of technique. Some would argue, not a good thing to have in a coach.

O: It felt like Karate Kid at times, haha. He would say something nonsensical and then ask me to repeat it. Towards the end of the summer, I really started to understand his way and it all started making sense. I started making saves that looked and felt unnatural. But the puck wasn't going in, so that's all that matters for me.

J: I know you're short on time and we're about to miss our break so we'll wrap this up with one more question. Where would you like to go in the draft tomorrow?

O: Honestly I'll be grateful to be selected at all. I'd really enjoy coming back to the States and play close to home but anywhere I can play will be a blessing.

J: Well thank you for joining us on the West Herr Hotline, we'll be sure to keep in touch as you start your career.

O:Thanks for having me, bye guys.

H: That was VHL prospect goaltender Owen May from Buffalo, NY. Tune in Monday morning to the Howard & Jeremy show to find out where the hometown kid winds up. This is WGR 550

Edited by FacebookFighter
Typo