Houston Defenseman Beau Buefordsson Reportedly Detained at Halifax Airport for "Looking too Nordic," per Authorities

Gustav

HALIFAX--Beau Buefordsson went undrafted this year, but that didn't stop him from being at the center of a pre-draft scene in Halifax. 

The defenseman who signed with Houston on February 19th came forward Sunday night with a shocking, and perhaps, a tad humorous, anecdote from before the VHLM draft, when he was being scouted by teams around the league. Visits went well, he said, to every team interested in seeing him, even as he flew to northern Alaska for a visit with the Yukon Rush. There was one team, however, that he did not meet with, and that was because he didn't even get past airport security. 

The official cause? He "looked too Nordic," according to French-Canadian Jean-Luc Dubois, head of security at Halifax Stanfield International Airport. 

"I went through the metal detector, got the full-body scan, complied when I was asked to take off my left shoe so they could smell it, didn't complain when they took my lucky bottle of rat urine, and they still stuck handcuffs on me and shipped me back to the States because I had the 'nose of a Swede'," Buefordsson said in Sunday night's press conference. When reached by the media, a representative of airport security delivered one single sentence in reply: "Canada is a country for the French." 

Many other Canadian cities, Vancouver and Toronto included, have condemned this statement, and the city of Halifax states that Buefordsson's detention "in no way reflects the moral character of Halifax or its people." 

Representatives for the Halifax 21st, thought by a small group of Houston's supporters to be at the root of this problem, could not be reached for further comment at this time.