Nixon Weighs in after Nabbing Wins in his First 2 VHL Starts [1/2]

Bonzaijoe

It's a kid's dream, to be able to come up and be good enough to play in the big leagues. For Nixon, he was the exact same way. Ever since he was a kid, Joe Nixon of the Vancouver Wolves wanted to be just where he is now.

"I've put in a lot of hard work to be here and it's exciting," Nixon said in an interview with us today. We met up with him following Vancouver's 3-2 win over Moscow, where he received his first VHL start, and eventually his first VHL win as well. Nixon said on his game, "I was extremely nervous but excited as well. I knew I had to go out on the ice and do my best going forward to try and bring this team a win. I went out there, stopped 17 of 19, and came out on top. It feels good, really really good, but going forward I need to keep up with myself and continue working to try to continue playing as well as I did tonight."

I asked Nixon how he thought this season would go for him, and he answered, "I'm gonna be a backup for most of it, and I know that, but GM Beavis let me know that he's gonna try to get me 20ish starts to get me some good experience going forward, and I really appreciate that I'm getting the opportunity. I feel like a lot of guys wouldn't get much time, I'm lucky to have an office that believes in me and it's flattering going forward to be able to get the time. Iseult is an amazing goalie, and being able to back him up and learn from him is good experience in itself as well."

We met up with Nixon again after his huge win over Moscow again when the Wolves took a 3-1 win in Game 12. Nixon was chosen as the first star of the game, as he stopped 28 of 29 shots for a .966 save average. Nixon said of the win, "It's huge for me. I went out and played really well. I have to give it to the defense too, they were great out there and really helped me out."

This game raised Nixon's Save Percentage to a league leading .938, right behind his teammate Iseult. Nixon's 1.50 GAA is also the best in the league early on. We asked Nixon what he thought, and he said "Let's not get ahead of ourselves here," he laughed, "I've played 2 games. Our defense has been covering well, and we're a 5-0-0 hockey team right now. Iseult has been playing shutdown and I'm glad to have played those two games against Moscow but seriously it's too early to watch too closely at my numbers leading the league. We'll see though. I've been working hard and being able to even see my numbers up there right now is just so cool."

We brought up his "first star of the game" performance, and he responded, "it's really cool to be considered that 'MVP' of the game and I'm always surprised to be there. This feeling is new though. I think I was first star a few times as a member of the Aces last season but this whole VHL thing is crazy. The guys in the VHLM are my age and are on the same page as me trying to get ready to go to the VHL, but to be the 'MVP' of the game in the VHL where these guys are way above my level and better than me? That's a great feeling. It's so cool. It doesn't mean I can stop working though. I had a good game, I'd like to come out and do that every time!"

Big thanks to Joe Nixon for talking to us after both games! As always, we really appreciate his time!

Review-

Beaviss will make sure you play plenty of games after what happened last playoffs with the backup goalie situation lol. You are obviously playing well in this early stage of your career. The way this media spot flows makes it very easy to read and flows very naturally. I like the interview style of it, but it isn't choppy, where a reporter asks a question and then their is a short answer, and they go back and forth. Great job

Edited by Matt_O

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Nixon Weighs in after Nabbing Wins in his First 2 VHL Starts [1/2]