K. Olsen on a hitting tear

CowboyinAmerica

seattle_times_logo.gif

Four games into the VHL season, who would you expect to be the league leader in hits? Well, it’s not Odin Tordahl, everybody’s selection for best two-way forward. It’s not Anatoli Zhumbayev, either. It’s also not a defenseman like Lefevre, Jack Sound, or either defenseman Valiq. It’s the Seattle Bears’ Karsten Olsen, who has an incredible 30 hits through four games.

“What can I say? I still think like a defenseman sometimes,” Olsen told assembled reporters after the team’s most recent game against Davos. “I like to hit guys.”

In that game against Davos, Olsen went on a hitting spree, amassing 12 hits in just over 32 minutes of ice time. On two of those hits, Karsten went after his brother Jarkko, which resulted in the Davos winger losing the puck.

At this current rate, Olsen would finish with an unbelievable 540 hits on the season. The current record holder is Tukka Reikkinen, who had 430 hits for the New York Americans in S30. While Olsen isn’t likely to keep up his current rate, is the hit record on his mind?

“Not particularly,” Olsen said. “It’s way too early to think about that type of stuff. I’d just like to win a few more games first.”