PBR: Reapers Hit Rough Patch

DMaximus

Welcome back to the Philadelphia Beat Report. Your inside scoop of the Philadelphia Reapers.

Sports can bring the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. The Philadelphia Reapers got their first taste of how low things can get when they recently endured a 10 game losing streak. Difficult times are expected for any expansion franchise, but no one on the Reapers predicted this. After some losses, players could be heard muttering to themselves in the locker room. Confusion and self-doubt crept in to their press conference answers. “I need to play more consistently,” star winger Mikko Aaltonen said after a recent loss. Team captain Hans Gruber bemoaned “We’re getting too many penalties. Our lack of discipline is causing problems." One of the overarching themes for the Reapers during the losing streak was poor performance of special teams. Both the power play and penalty units were inconsistent. In a recent press conference, top defenseman, Charlie Paddywagon said, ”I blame myself for our penalty kill woes….I need to lead our unit and I’m not doing a good enough job.”

However, despite the losing streak, the PBR feels a strong sense of unity among all Reaper staff and players. GM BlaideMaiden raised team morale by having an open vote for the captaincy positions. Team favorites Hans Gruber, John Frostbeard, and Tyler Barabash Jr. were awarded Captain/Alternate positions. Their leadership helped keep the team together as a complete unit during the difficult times. This includes the currently swirling trade rumors involving many Reaper players. So far none of the trade talk has affected the mood of the locker room. In fact, all of the struggles may have created a hardened Reaper team. This resiliency has started to emerge as the Reapers won their last 2 games, including a 2nd win against one of the cup favorites, the Las Vegas Aces. Maybe this Reaper team has been through the worst and is now prepared for a run at the cup starting right now?