Random VHL Thoughts Again

Fire Tortorella

The excitement of the off-season and start of the season has worn off, so I'm having trouble thinking of things to write about. With that said, I'm just going to list some random VHL related thoughts I have.

• I believe it's pretty much known at this point that the VHL will be expanding again. I think this will be the last expansion for a couple of seasons, as we need to see if the league stabilizes with 10 teams and how many of these newer members remain active a couple of seasons into their VHL careers.
  • This will eventually bring up the question of higher roster sizes with more team depth vs. more expansion. My answer will be (as it's always been) the VHL should remain a 6F/4D/1G league, where everyone gets to play minutes. It's no fun to play 3rd line or pairing minutes, and everything in the VHL is based on this roster size. Back up goalies may become an issue, but we'll see how that goes.
  • I think the VHLM should expand by two teams. It's not great that some new members can only have 4th line minutes not too far into the season. Worst comes to worst, if recruitment should ever slow down, we could "close off" some VHLM teams and highly recommend that those players be moved if necessary.