The two Owens

FacebookFighter

VHL.COM- Buffalo,NY

By Gloria Borger

Owen Parker, son of WGR 550 radio host Christopher Parker, has begun his professional career today. The Des Moines Buccaneers have brought Parker on to close out their season in the USHL. Christopher or "Bulldog" has been vocal of his son's success but it also has ties to the VHL. Owen May, a Buffalo native has spent time with Bulldog and his son on the ice but May says their influence on him started at a much younger age.

"My father always had WGR on and it made me laugh a lot. Once I got older I had to listen to broadcasts a day after they were aired. It helped me cure my homesickness. They made me interested in hockey and can thank them that I tried out for hockey."

The pair of Owens have been practicing together under the guidance of Marty Biron. While Parker has intentions to go through the path of the NHL, May says that the VHL will always be an option for him.

"He's very talented and if the NHL is dumb enough to pass on him, I think we could make a great tandem."

Buffalo holds their collective breath as they see two hometown boys reach the professional level.