Denver Wolfe vs. Basaraba Moose (Ryan Sullivan Trophy)

Toasty

While the VHLM has seen its share of top-end defenders this season, two seem to stick above the rest. A physical Halifax two-way veteran by the name of Basaraba Moose and Minnesota's offensive prodigy Denver Wolfe. Today, we will be analyzing each player's season and comparing them, for it is very likely that one of them wins the Ryan Sullivan trophy.

Denver Wolfe - Minnesota Storm (S65): 53 GP, 15 G, 70 A, 85 P, +28, 113 SHT, 124 HIT, 72 SB

Notable Statistics:

-2nd in Points (85)

-1st in Assists (70)

-5th in +/- (+28)

-6th in Hits Among Defensemen (124)

-5th in Average Time on Ice (28:14)

-7th in Powerplay Points (26)

Basaraba Moose - Halifax 21st (S64): 52 GP, 26 G, 42 A, 68 P, +20, 172 SHT, 174 HIT, 90 SB

Notable Statistics:

-2nd in Points Among Defensemen (68)

-1st in Goals Among Defensemen (24)

-4th in Hits (174)

-1st in Shots Among Defensemen (172)

-4th in Shots Blocked (90)

-6th in Average Time on Ice (28:02)

-2nd in Powerplay Points (31)

While Wolfe seems to be the better of the two players in the offensive zone, Moose's defense has the edge by quite a ways. Moose also has a better shot and scoring ability while Wolfe's passing is superior. Their ice time is relatively similar, however Moose has Wolfe beat on the powerplay while Wolfe is better even strength. Personally I believe that both of these defenseman are very gifted and both are very deserving of the Sullivan Trophy. Normally, the Sullivan Trophy is given to the defenseman with the most points, no questions asked, however with a player like Moose, who is even better defensively than he is offensively, it becomes tougher to judge who the winner is. It all depends what people value more. A player that can make amazing plays and control a team's offense, or a player who hits, blocks shots, scores lots of goals and can quarterback both penalty kill and powerplay like it's nothing. It will be interesting to see all of the GM's takes on it and which kind of player they value more, but personally for me, I would want my player to be top-end on both ends of the ice and Moose checks that box.