Claimed:Building the Brock Wall

Hybrid1486

rsz_the-rock-sean-connery.jpg

Gentlemen…Welcome to the Brock

The VHL’s Season 38 Draft, while still a long way off, is noticeable short on goaltenders.  This isn’t an uncommon occurrence, given the relative lack of job openings and the lack of glory the position generally carries with it, but any general managers who were hoping for some help between the pipes had literally no options thus far.

Fortunately for them, one man has just changed that.

Brock Waldron has decided to forego a career in the NHL, KHL, and countless other “major” professional hockey leagues to make an impact in the VHL.  It’s likely that he’ll be missing out on a great deal of money with the decision, but the American had other interests in mind when he decided to join up with the smaller league.

"There are a couple of things that drew me to the VHL over the other leagues..." Waldron said when he announced his decision.  "First, the path to a job is a lot faster in the VHL.  I can probably be a starting goaltender on a major-league team in a couple seasons, while in the other leagues I'd probably be waiting at least a few years.  There's also the worldwide aspect, which definitely grabbed my attention.  I've never traveled much, and I was really drawn to a league where the teams are all over the world.  It'll probably be pretty exhausting, but I'll get to see so much just by being in the league that I couldn't pass up the opportunity."

rsz_1alg-usa-hockey-campbell-kreider-jpg

Waldron followed the VHL when he was younger, but admittedly has lost touch with the league's personnel in recent years.  "I don't really know many of the players in the league these days.  I remember the turnover being pretty high, what with the mandated eight-year maximum career length, but I don't think I could name a lot of the top players in the league right now.  I'm sure that'll change soon enough, though"

As a goaltender, Waldron is known for being quick on his feet and with his stick, but rather suspect on the glove side.  He can also be a little reckless handling the puck, which might have played a part in steering him away from the NHL.  He likely would have been a late-round draft pick, and certainly had no guarantees of an NHL career.  In the VHL, however, he is almost assured of eventually nailing down a starting job if he maintains strong work habits.

For the time being, Waldron is continuing to work out while waiting for his minor-league assignment.  He'll be at a disadvantage against his fellow draftees, many of whom have been establishing themselves for several weeks already, but the lack of competition at his position will offset some of that disparity.

rsz_man3.jpg

"All I can do for the time being is bring my A-game to the VHLM.  When I show them what I can do, on and off the ice, the general managers will be able to form their own opinions on whether or not they want me.  I don't know what situation I'll walk into, but whatever it is I'll make the best of it."

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

523 words. Welcome back to the league. You might remember me as Slobo. Well, the MS was a perfect beginning for a member who has been out of the loop. It was simple, yet effective.

Grammar: 2/2

Strong.

noticeable = noticeably

general managers = General Manager

general managers = General Managers (capitalizing positions of power)

Appearance: 1/1

Good enough.

Overall: 6/6

• 2 weeks later...