Malmo Calling?

The playoffs are nearing their end and the draft looms over the horizon. To make it even crazier an expansion team has been introduced into the mix. So what would you do if granted a new franchise in today's league? Many speculate that Owen May will be the first Knighthawk draft pick in the teams history. The goaltender has had a shaky start to his VHLM career but has found himself comfortable with the inaugural season with the Houston Bulls. May has become one of the more sought after goaltenders due to the effort he puts into practicing. Many of May's teammates have been quik to offer positive support to the young man. But all good things must come to an end as the VHL comes calling, with Malmo eyeing up the young man.

Would May be able to lead Malmo to the playoffs the first season? Most likely not. I can't imagine May will be ready for the transition to the VHL sitting at 199 TPE. However does it make some sense? May has been a hard worker and will most likely keep with the league. Within a few seasons May could find himself in conversation for All-Star.

However the question remains, would you spend a 1st on him? Goaltenders in the first round of the NHL often end up busts. Looking at you DiPetro. Is the VHL different? But obviously I'm interested in the draft and can't wait to see the mayhem that occurs.

So the next question is, is May's time better spent down in the VHLM or in the VHL? Currently May, sits at 199 TPE. A tricky gray area for goaltenders. It could be argued that, Malmo or the team that does eventually draft him, will rush his development by calling him up to the VHL. However it can also be argued that playing time could result in substantial growth for the young man.

Malmo may also not want May with such a highly offensive draft depth. And may decide depending on the expansion draft if they want to make a playoff push with an older goaltender. Or Malmo may try to get a large amount of young players who have worked hard through the years in order to build a juggernaut for the future. Or will Malmo find the magic that the Vegas Golden Knights did in the NHL and finding a perfect mix of veterans and youth that found its way to the cup finals in its first year.

May has been quik to acknowledge his teammates effort and believes that they should be selected in front of him. May had been expecting to fall to the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. He has been flabbergasted to see mock drafts picking him in the first round.

" I'm really humbled by the experience, it's been nice to be wanted. I'll definitely miss the place that was so nice to me and showed me the ropes. They're so many great players and teammates on this Houston roster that it makes me wanna cry that I'll have to leave them. I'd be very grateful to be drafted by Malmo or any other VHL team. I'd like to be a household name."