Player Tribune: Scoringsonn on the Draft [2/2]

11 Eleven

Mikko-Rantanen.jpg

Recent draftee Bjorn Scoringsonn, detailing draft night, and his expectations moving forward.

Many of those in the know (or in the media) have labelled me as an enigma of a prospect. And, well, I guess in that respect they are right. I didn't get any guarantees from any VHLM teams. While sure, I had interest and interviews with a few GMs, I was told my range was anywhere from #5 to #30. That was made true when the picks came and gone, and I sat in the green room with my family, not knowing where I would go, or when. It was the most nervous I've ever been.

This wasn't a rare occurrence for me: I have a pretty detailed history of going unnoticed, or flying under the radar, due to the lack of scouts available in Iceland. The VHL has few Icelandic players, but we are a proud nation, and we players always give it 110% out on the ice whenever our number is called. That is something I hold dear: I am representing my country, and I'll always remember that whenever I play.

Heading into the draft I was made well aware by the Philadelphia Reapers GM that I might not be able to return home to Philly: the first non-European city I ever visited. There I turned from a boy into a man, I was thrown into a foreign land with a foreign language, and I was expected to produce straight away. The Reapers took a big risk in an unknown kid from Iceland, and I will always be thankful for them for that chance.

r498641_608x342_16-9.jpg

Scoringsonn looks to be a leading force for Philadelphia moving forward.

Knowing that Philadelphia had a lot of picks in the draft made me excited about potentially returning there. I know it wasn't a sure thing, but the GM had coped a lot of flack for the moves that ended up gaining them all those picks, and I know they did it for a reason. To be truly competitive in the VHLM you have to be willing to take leaps of faith and hope that they turn out for the best. I know first hand that is true: otherwise I wouldn't be here writing this article.

So when pick number eighteen, belonging to the Philadelphia Reapers, was announced to be some guy called Bjorn Scoringsonn from Iceland, I was over the moon. I had just bought a flat in the Philadelphia area, I had made friends, and most of all, my family had just come over to live with me as I make the push to the VHL. Being back in a familiar space and area is something I had hoped for, and those wishes came true.

I think Philadelphia can win it all this season. I truly do. Our GM has done an incredible job bringing together some fresh (and old) faces, and I believe we have with it takes to mesh our games together well to be a force to be reckoned with. It will be an incredible ride to be able to get a training camp under my belt, and a full season with a team. I promise to repay the faith shown in me. This is just the beginning of my journey.

- Bjorn.

• 2 months later...

Review: I really liked your use of under-picture captions to clearly describe what the article was about, it was a nice professional touch. I also liked how you integrated personal details while still giving a very good overview of how the draft process went on. Great job!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Player Tribune: Scoringsonn on the Draft [2/2]