Thompson’s Decision coming during the draft

Beketov

• Commissioner

For the 2nd straight off-season the free agency period has been abuzz wondering where former Seattle Bears star Matt Thompson will land. Last season he decided to go back to Seattle, the team he has known his whole career, however with Seattle moving into a rebuild and trading his rights that door has seemingly closed for good which begs the question: where will Thompson go? And, for that matter, when will he announce it. Thanks to reports from his Agent, VHL Hall of Famer Alexander Beketov, we know at least the answer to one of those questions.

“Matt [Thompson] is planning to announce his decision during or immediately following the draft tonight. An odd time I would say personally but he’s got a flair for the dramatic I guess and that’s what he wants so far be it for me to stand in the way.”

Thompson is entering his 6th VHL season meaning he only has 3 chances remaining to capture the continental cup that has been eluding the Beketov Agency since S46 when Jackson Miller captured his 2nd. He is, however, nominated for his third Boulet trophy (which would put him 1 shy of the trophy’s namesake) after capturing back to back victory cups with the Seattle Bears. It is widely believe that Thompson will be signing with the goal of a cup on his mind, as it was the case last season, but Beketov makes it clear that the decision is not as cut and dry as it appears.

“League parity is higher now than it has been in a long time, that much there’s a lot of teams competing and a lot of potential destinations for him. 6/10 teams in the league have an offer in right now and honestly he could go to any of them. It’s going to be an interesting night to say the least”