Rink-Side Chat with Malmo Nighthawks GM

Rink-Side Chat with Malmo Nighthawks GM

We continue our series of VHL GM interviews with a recent appointment, but long time GMing veteran. He has one of the most impressive records of any VHL GM, and has just recently taken over the new expansion team, the Malmo Nighthawks. I present to you the offical VSN interview of Advantage:

NHL_announces_George_McPhee_as_GM_of_Veg

VSN: Can you tell us a bit about the trades your team made involving draft picks prior to the draft?

ADV: Sure, the point was to not move anything of current significance in the Moose trade.  To me, I have no idea how strong those drafts will be and was looking to acquire someone who had significant interest in Malmo at a huge position of need, so I figured if I didn't have to give up a 1st, I was okay with making that move.  As for the Gucci trade, I felt that the guys I wanted at 27 would be available later on, and indeed they were.  Therefore, for me it made sense to acquire the asset in Gucci and move down to where it made more sense to take those players.  

V: Would you like to explain why did you picked the players you did?

ADV: Regarding Garcia and Shackleford, to me they were the Best Defensemen Available and both had excellent personalities and interest in Malmo.  Nacho was someone who showed interest in Malmo as well and Juandice was someone I have become familiar with in the Saskatoon locker room.  Finally, both Grape and Abaddon have been around on the site lately and at those picks, to get someone active just makes a lot of sense. 

V: What is the most important factor you look for when choosing your picks?

ADV: Interest in being a member of an Expansion Team and activity.  Position does play a role of course but I tend to lean to BPA.

V: Do you plan on trading any of your newly drafted players?

ADV: No, I definitely don't plan on trading any of them.

V: Have any other GMS made a really bad pick this season? Which one?

ADV: It's really hard to say as there was a lot of talent in the draft.  Hackett's agent has a very busy life so if he can't manage both it and the league, that could cost Riga, but I also really respect Renomitsu and I think he can make it work.  Ultimately, I thought teams made some solid picks and even with reaches like Frostbeard, he is a very good member that isn't undeserving of where he went.

V: Did any other GMs snake a pick from you? Which pick?

ADV: Not at all actually.  I got literally everyone I wanted for the first four picks and the next two I was just surprised they were there.

V: What kind of hazing and other rituals will your newly drafted rookies have to look forward to?

ADV: I don't believe in hazing and would rather bring them all in on respected grounds as everyone is new on the Nighthawks.

V: Have you asked any of the players you’ve scouted weird or unusual questions when reaching out to them?

ADV: Not really.  I generally keep things pretty professional and simple.

V: Will HHH win Rookie of the Year? If not, who will it be? 

ADV: I would bet against him as the odds are obviously not necessarily in his favour but he definitely has as good of chance as anyone.  I think someone like Jack Lynch could have a monster year next to Pajari and Materazo, but things will remain to be seen.

V: Is HHH guaranteed to be a hall of famer?

ADV: Not at all.  There are many top point earning players who never made it and it takes a lot of dedication, luck and eight seasons of production to make it generally.

V: Who will be the better player, Shane Mars or Julius Freeman?

ADV: I lean to Shane Mars here but have no real reason to choose one over the other.

V: Who is the best defenseman in the draft?

ADV: I firmly believe Garcia is the best defenseman in the draft.  He is as developed as any and has shown consistent improvement throughout his draft year.  He will have a lot of opportunity in Malmo and I anticipate quite a lot of success.

V: How many players picked after the 2nd round are going to become roster players in the future?

ADV: Tons.  I would say the next three rounds will see the majority become eventual VHL roster players.  

V: How many lines will your team be running this season after this crazy deep draft?

We will still be running two lines but with an extra forward this season.  Next season will be more interesting and might require a third line.

V: What is your drink of choice?

ADV: Generally Iced Coffee.  I don't drink and have been trying to cut the pop out.

V: Who is going to win the cup and why?

ADV: I think Toronto looks very good with their improvements on the defensive front.  Plus, how can you bet against the back-to-back champs.

V: What city do you want the VHL to expand to next?

ADV: I'd like to see another Canadian team added and then maybe we can expand to Prague cause they probably should have a team.

V: Is the VHL rigged?

ADV: No.

V: Do you tell your players how you want them to develop or let them do their own thing?

ADV: A bit of both.  I let them do their thing but offer my best advice on builds.  Usually most want some guidance so I'm always ready to offer.

V: Who is going to be the biggest bust of this draft?

ADV: If I was a betting man, I'd say Hackett, but I really have a hard time picking a bust in this stacked draft.

V: Which player on your team has the most pressure on them coming into this season?

ADV: I think Pajari will have to carry the load up front and will be the major piece that needs to drive our offense.  That being said, Carison in net will literally be the most important piece if we hope to make the playoffs.