Rink-Side Chat with Moscow Menace GM

Rink-Side Chat with Moscow Menace GM

tikhonov-1.jpeg

Thr VHL GM interviews continue with another expansion team general manager. As with many of the other GMs, this guy has been around for quite some time. He was the architect behind some of the most explosive pre-draft moves for the Moscow Menace, and one of the more interesting personalities in the league. I present the interview of the rambunctious GM of the Russians: Victor.

VSN: Can you tell us a bit about the trades your team made involving draft picks prior to the draft?

Victor: Trading first overall was something I argued with myself for about a week after initially speaking to HHH and Shane Mars. Ultimately I felt having two first rounders in this draft was enough of a guarantee to make it worthwhile and get players who wanted to be in Moscow. Then the Chace trade with Toronto was a no-brainer, it was basically free assets and I got a few promising players from those late picks.

VSN: Would you like to explain why did you picked the players you did?

Victor: The first rounders I picked, Volosenkov and Jaguar, were two players who explicitly wanted to play in Moscow and I value that quite a bit. Owen May was a much needed franchise goaltender. From then on, it was looking at which prospects had the most upside and making sure to pick those who joined the class later but were catching up to those who were around longer.

VSN: Did any other GMs snake a pick from you? Which pick?

Victor: No, I got exactly who I wanted with picks 5, 10, and 11 and after that I came into every pick with 2-3 players I was hoping would be there so I wasn't set up for disappointment.

VSN: Who will be the better player, Shane Mars or Julius Freeman?

Victor: I think Mars will benefit from being the main man in Seattle as they come out of their rebuild and that will give him the edge. In terms of commitment I think they're both in it for the long haul and things will come down to factors out of the players' control.

VSN: How many players picked after the 2nd round are going to become roster players in the future?

Victor: Everyone in the top 50 is very likely to make the VHL if they haven't already and even after that there were gems to be found into the 7th round. Realistically we're looking at 30-40 players in addition to the top 20 which is absolutely mind-boggling.

VSN: How many lines will your team be running this season after this crazy deep draft?

Victor: We've currently got 3 lines of forwards in addition to two inactives as spares, although just 5 defencemen for now. Season 67 will be very interesting as there is nearly another team's worth of players in the VHLM at the moment so some tough decisions will need to be made.

VSN: What city do you want the VHL to expand to next?

Victor: When I became expansion GM my three options were Moscow, London, and Prague. I'd love a team in either of the latter two but realistically it'll be 1 as at least one of the next expansion slots will go to North America.

VSN: Is the VHL rigged?

Victor: No and I don't think it ever has been. We've been blessed with reliable simmers with integrity and there's only been about 6-7 in the whole 66 seasons, all of whom I know well enough personally to honestly believe they never used the job for self gain.

VSN: Do you tell your players how you want them to develop or let them do their own thing?

Victor: Largely I trust them to do what's best for them. Happy to answer any questions they have but don't micromanage unless I feel they are going down a completely wrong path.