Sweet Relief

Not all miracles win championships. Not all miracles are fantastic goals or highway robbery saves. Sometimes miracles are an unexpected result for someone struggling to make their way in the league. Welcome, Owen May. The young goaltender has been a part of one of the worst defenses in the league. May has not appeared on any of the top ten's in any statistical catergory until today. May recorded his first career shut out versus the Vancouver Wolves. We talked with May as he relived that moment.

" I really couldn't believe it. I've been struggling and struggling for so long. To be honest, I wasn't even paying attention to the scoreboard. The boys were playing well, I was making a save, here and there. They put four in the net in the first period and had their goalie out of the game. I was just kinda sitting there, in some sort  of anxious state. My breathing was slow and I was sweating a little. Thinking back, I think I reached "the zone". I just felt great. At the end of the first, I go into the locker room and it wasn't like we had won. We've scored a lot of goals and still lost. In fact we've lost quite a few games we've scored four goals and still wound up losing the game. Coach gave a pep talk and we were back on the ice. Again the boys played extremely well and limited the key opportunities and second chances. We end up putting two in and we finally felt like "hey, we got this game under our belt.". Next thing I know we're back on the ice for the third and while the fans didn't get to see much action I was really thankful. Once my teammates came over and started to congratulate me, I realized what had happened. I feel like I may have turned a corner on this season."

May seemed thankful on the ice after the game. He hugged teammates and came out to a roaring crowd as the third star of the game. After the post celebratory round up with their coach May met with media and fans. He spent what seemed to be hours signing autographs and answering all questions the media had of him before leaving once arena security asked for everyone to clear out.

" I think I was being a little selfish. We've been very sparce when it comes to wins and there's quite a few times when we don't get to celebrate because we're so worried about standings and how the next game is going to pan out. I just wanted to enjoy my moment with the fans. This was a special night for me and I love being a part of the whole experience. The kids want to be you and want to believe you're superhuman. It tugs at the heart and I just can't turn down a young fan who thinks that a bunch of lines drawn from my hand are valuable. Then of course I always want to talk to the media because they can convey some big messages to a bunch of people. If there's a fan base that needs some encouragement that we're trying our hardest and we play night in and night out for them, it's Moscow and the country of Russia."