Case Martell Eyes The VHLM Playoffs

Shaka

1.jpg

Case Martell Eyes The VHLM Playoffs

As the season comes to a close and eight teams embark on the journey to be crowned S66 VHLM Champions, I can't help but look beyond the tournament and set my sights on the upcoming VHLM Draft. For my player, Offensive Right Winger Case Martell, the draft will be the formal beginning of what I plan to make a long and enjoyable career. While I'm not part of this year's playoffs, there's a strong chance the team I'll be playing for in Season 67 is. Assuming as much, this year's playoffs give me a glimpse of what could be. As someone who isn't in-tune with the VHL, the VHLM, the playoffs, the players or anything really, it's hard to write a ton about this weeks action. With that said, let's make a special Theme Week media spot on the VHLM Playoff teams as seen through the lens of VHLM hopeful Case Martell. It's the best I can do.

A quik glance at the fabulous Live S68 Draft Class Rankings shows a top-heavy class of defenders and a lot of unknown. Martell, who is very much in the middle of the pack despite being mistakenly omitted from this most recent update, can reasonably expect to be drafted anywhere from 7th through the 15th pick. Being chosen earlier, rather than later, would put him right in the thick of this years contending teams. Those teams are the Mexico City Kings, the Saskatoon Wild, the Ottawa Lynx, the Halifax 21st and the Philadelphia Reapers. While I plan to keep an eye on earlier picks, Minnesota, San Diego and Mississauga, I'd be pleased to see Martell land with a team in the backhand of the draft. Let's analyze them.

Let's start with the Mexico City Kings series against the Saskatoon Wild. At 42-25, the upstart Kings are making the playoffs in their first ever season and boost the league's 2nd ranked defense on the back of the league's top goalie in Wrike Chernobyl. They'll be facing a strong Saskatoon team fresh off its first 50-win season in at least 5 years(index only goes back that far), led by star Center's Vladimir Pavlov and Lucas Nygren. Both teams may lose the likes of all three leaders, making it hard to truly estimate the identity of either team in Season 67. Has it been Chernobyl's lights out season that led to a defensive focus by Mexico City and the cause of a near league-low 182 points scored? Or do the Kings plan to employ that kind of approach, regardless of talent brought in from year to year? Would Martell be hindered by playing for Mexico City, or be the answer to the team's offensive woes? While Saskatoon seems like a safe bet, Mexico City is an intriguing storyline going into their second draft. Pick for the series? I say the steady, if unspectacular, play by Saskatoon outshoots the Kings in a fun series.

Next, we travel to Halifax were the 52-win 21st play the San Diego Marlins. This will be a series of much interest to Martell. Halifax, who own the league's 2nd ranked offense, are led by three of the VHLM's top offensive players; Blake Gaudette, AJ Axelson and Emil Passerelli. The 21st scored 286 goals this season in a fast-paced offense that focused on playmaking by its first line. Not only will they be fun to watch against a Marlins team just happy to make the playoffs, but they're arguably the most identifiable team to fit Martell's skill set. If they were to lose any of their top three players, or lean into the offensive strategy, Case Martell could be the next great scorer in a line of them in the great northeast. Pick for the series? Halifax, easily.

Moving to Ottawa, because I don't know where to begin to look for the other team on a map, we get what should be a barn burner of a match between the offensive powerhouse Lynx and yet another expansion team in the top-heavy Hounds of Mississauga. A quik pick for this series is that no matter who wins this one, there will be a lot of scoring. That, again, is good news for Case Martell. On one side, you have the Hounds, led by league's top player Callum MacElroy, Dan Gles and the league's top scoring defenseman Hulg Hogan. On the other, you have an Ottawa team that can score in bunches across multiple lines and from anywhere on the ice. While the Hounds have shown an ability to showcase talent, and MacElroy has it in bunches, the Lynx have to be the top destination for any scoring winger entering the league for obvious reasons.

Lastly, we end in Minnesota, where I expect the 31-39 Storm to end their season after a series sweep to the top-ranked Philadelphia Reapers. It's amazing to think a year ago the Reapers were an 11-win team and are now on the verge of it's first VHLM Title. Led by one of maybe 5 members I know on this site, Philadelphia has to be one of the top destinations on Martell's list come draft day. If he lasts to the 11th pick, which is very possible giving my complete unnknownness(word alert), it's hard not to hope the Reapers make the call. Blade clearly knows the game to be able to pull out such an impressive season. On the ice, last year's #1 pick in the VHLM Draft in John Frostbeard is set to take flight to the VHL. Could Martell follow the beard and help keep Philadelphia in contention? Only time will tell.

There will be a lot to follow this week and next as the VHLM Playoffs commence and end, the VHL Draft takes place and those in this years VHLM Draft turn another page in their young VHL career. Case Martell's ready to title that chapter, he just needs a name.