New York's Youth Movement Begins

CowboyinAmerica

Card image cap

Manhattan, NY -- It was a Big Night in the Big Apple: The New York Americans franchise has been down on its luck in recent years, but is hoping to change its fortunes with a whopping 12 players added to the franchise pool in last night's VHL Draft. Among those players were four first round draft picks and six of the 16 draft selections, led by second overall pick defenseman Lance Flowers.

Speaking with the media in the VHL Draft room directly following his selection, Flowers seemed excited by the prospect of going to New York, even if he didn't yet know who his teammates would be. "It's the biggest market in the league, a franchise that is building towards something great, and there's a good chance I'll see top minutes right away. What's not to love?" Flowers said. "I had a feeling I'd end up in New York, and right now, there's no place I'd rather be."

Those feelings were compounded as the first round continued. New York's next two picks happened to be Yukon teammates of Flowers' in Frans Eller and A Red Guy, two players that contributed mightily to the junior team's successes. That was followed by fellow defenseman Frederik Elmebeck in the first round; Owen Nolan, Micha Sage and Aamon Grim in the second round; and Ryo Yamazuki II and Jaxon Walker. The first six draftees will be up in the VHL as rookies this season, while the other three are poised to be top VHLM contributors.

What it all adds up to is a team that may not be overly competitive this season, but should be seen as a top competitor in the years to come. "Have you seen our squad?" Flowers said later that night, after the draft concluded. "We're coming for the VHL, and it's going to be pretty. We may be young now, but you'll look back on this draft as a turning point in a few years."