HOF Black Velvet

Steve

Black Velvet

Hall of Fame

(S48-S55)

TPE:1190 RS:576 GP, 196 G, 505A, 701P, +477, 752PIM, 1342HIT, 674SB, 45GW

PO:94 GP, 22 G, 65 A, 87 P, +12, 202 PIM, 251 HIT, 131 SB, 9 GW

S50 Daisuke Kanou Trophy (Playoff MVP)

S51 Alexander Beketov Trophy (Most Assists)

S51 Sterling Labatte Trophy (Top Defender)

S52 Sterling Labatte Trophy (Top Defender)

Five Continental Cups (S48, S49, S50, S54, S55)

Black Velvet was an incredible force in the league that lead him to the highest rewards the league has to offer. A dedicated player with a focus on success. And success is certainly a goal in which he achieved. The numbers are more than impressive, they are staggering. To accomplish so much in the time he was playing is something to remember and admire.

As a defenseman myself, I can only dream of such a career. I look back at the teams and players of his era and can imagine the excitement it was to play along side Black Velvet. Playing defense is hard enough, but to have a impact on any given game is very hard. Black Velvet seemed to thrive on being the best he could be and make everyone around him better. A career I will not forget and young defensemen should look up to.

While the league has changed and the addition of more teams, players from the past set the bar very high. I am not sure we will see another talent like Black Velvet anytime soon, but he success level is a bar everyone should try for. I do wish I was his linemate.

You cannot move forward without looking at the past. The past players in this league should not be forgotten. He is a very big inspiration to all of us to be the best we can be.