One of many - look on NYA vs CAL game from S35 [1/2]

jRuutu

open_book_color.jpg

I´m not much of a history person, I don´t read and all that, but this week I decided to sit down, take the good old history books out and see what I can find! Older indexes are quite fun to look at and from there I found something interesting, season 35 - first round of the regular season - New York vs Calgary. You need to look fairly hard to find a dirtier game than that.

The game starts like any other game, the puck is dropped, but around that point is where it all starts to go wrong. Calgary defender Clark Marcellin takes a tripping minor when 20 seconds is played, New York scores right away to make it 1-0. Around 30 seconds later New York winger NYA Senor Chang says its time to pay back. Chico Salmon has just received a pass when Senor Chang sees his moment - he tries to take Chico out by kneeing. Five-minute major follows, a dirty hit and as a result, Calgary scores three goals on the powerplay, 3-1 when six minutes of the first is played, all goals on the powerplay.

Calgary is feeling it at that point, they score two more goals in the first period, Rybak makes it 4-1 and Chico Salmon who was the target earlier scored 5-1. A bad period for the Americans, but wait - more is to come!

6000200378387.jpg

The second starts like the first one, with penalties. New York winger Samu Heiskanen takes interference minor when 9 seconds of the 2nd period is played, Wozniak scores to make it 6-1. Surely at this point its time to try and stay out of the box? No!

Calgary scores two more powerplay goals in the second and one more on 5v5, 9-1 after two full periods.

When you think you have seen it all, dirtiest play of the game comes in the third period, New York defender D2 is thrown out of the game for butt-ending Wozniak who at that point had a whopping six-point game with 3+3, almost full twenty to go and New York is once again facing a major penalty kill, but against all odds - Calgary does not score on the powerplay.

The final goal of the game is scored by Calgary winger Zamora 9.43 into the third period, the game ends 10-1 for Calgary.

This game had it all and perhaps the worst possible way to start a season was seen from New York. Four players from Calgary had at least four points, Rybak and Wozniak both had 6.

261750-13881915829798355-George-Acs.jpg

If we go ahead in time, after the regular season 35 was over, New York took the most penalty minutes and had the worst PK, interestingly no New York players in the top-10 penalty minutes category, so a real team effort. New York won in a total of 9 games that season,

Calgary had the league's second-best PP. Wranglers won 52 games, which was the second-most in the league, Wranglers, however, scored the most goals that year. Wozniak scored disgusting 72 goals in 72 games, Rybak scored 64 - the duo lead the league in goals scored. Marcellin had the most assists with 96, Wozniak had 82, so put it mildly - Calgary players were on fire that year.

Interesting game and an interesting season with wild statistics!

• DollarAndADream changed the title to One of many - look on NYA vs CAL game from S35 [1/2]