Michael Johnson Journal #17 S65 in Halifax

fonziGG

Obi Wan Kenobi Hello GIF by Star Wars

2019-10-20:

Today, I'm actually going to dip into the history of the team I GM over in Halifax. I want to talk about the S65 season. 1 Season before I joined them as a player! That season was a fun one and tbh I think it was a very competitive team.

First off, since I'm a goalie, I'm going to talk about Chase, the starting goalie that year. Chase had a rough year and to be honest, he could've did better statistically but he still got the work done. Chase had 46 wins and 22 losses with 4 overtime losses. In depth stats say another story. He struggled holding a .892 save percentage and a 2.73 GAA with 4 shutouts, defense could've been the negative on this squad and Chase was a big part of it.

Next up is Julian Freeman who was acquired via the VHLM dispersal draft. Freeman posted a very impressive 100 point season. Freeman was the heart of the offense and while his +/- was impressive (he held a +31) his lack blocked shots was a real concern, leaving the season with only 20 shots blocked. His 16.13 shot % was incredible and his P/20 at 1.31 was immense for his side. Julius truly took that team and put them on his back, offensively.

Basaraba Moose was another major contributor to this team. Moose lead all defensemen on the team with 34 goals and 57 assists with a whopping 91 points. Moose also had 120 blocked shots and lead the team in power play goals with 18 and in power play points with 41 which was 2 more points than Freeman. Unfortunately, his P/20 was rough with a 0.90. The type of play Moose had on the team was clearly a 2 way style, but you could say he was the rock at the defense.  

Next up is Anton Edvin, long time member of the Halifax 21st and also on the current team through active free agency. Whats awesome about Anton is that he sits at 140 TPE and yet he still generated a huge 14.34 shot percentage that year. This lead to him getting 38 goals and 43 assists at a huge 81 points. He was a +33 as well with a huge presence on the power play and penalty kill. His P/20 was a 1.15, which is the 2nd best on the team as well. He was a sneaky contributor to this side.

Now that I've mentioned some of the players on the team, I'm going to mention some of the team stats they had that year. Halifax were 5th in power play percentage with a 22.28% and were 2nd for penalty kill % with a 81.53%. Halifax ended up 2nd that season, trailing Minnesota by a 7 point margin with 46 wins and 22 losses. Halifax let in 199 goals, which was the least in the league and scored 269 goals which was the 2nd most in the league. 

Sadly, this story has heartbreak in the end. Halifax makes it to the final against Minnesota and lose 4-2 in a best of 7 series. The game 6 was a real heart breaker as Halifax went into the 2nd period with a 2-1 lead. In the end, they drop the ball and sadly life goes on.

Anyways, that is all for me folks.

Sincerely,

Michael Johnson