Claimed:Year in Review For Slaughter

sterling

Rookie Recap Tom Slaughter

Season 37 third overall draft pick Tom Slaughter is almost finished his rookie season having played 71 games so far in his rookie season. The winger converted to centreman has notched what many consider to be an excellent rookie season with the New York Americans centring a line with star wingers XXX and Odin Tordahl. The Americans currently sit with a one point lead over the Seattle Bears for the final playoff spot in the North American Conference with the penultimate game set to take place later on this evening between the two teams.

image.jpg

"I'm very happy with how this campaign has gone for me and the team. Most importantly my team is on the verge of a playoff berth in what was supposed to be a building year. Yes, we may come up short, but we've had an excellent year together. A few of my teammates are league leaders and Low looks poised to capture his second Labatte trophy in two years. We have some guys who have had tremendous years, I'm happy to be a part of a winning team so early in my career," Slaughter said.

Slaughter in his own right has played an excellent campaign notching 22 goals and recording an additional 54 assists for a total of 76 points through 71 games to lead all rookies in scoring. Former teammate Slaeter Fjorsstrom is close behind at roughly a point per game pace from the defence position which is quite impressive for a raw rookie. Both players have seen their production dip in recent weeks down the stretch which may be a result of the strain of a full VHL season on their young frames.

"Yes, I'm happy to see Slaeter doing so well this season. Definitely a top campaign from a rookie. He'll be a favourite for the Top Rookie consideration this season and I wish him luck to that end. I always like to see good former teammates do well. He's a guy who, although we're in direct competition, you still want to cheer for. You could make a good case for his cause as the best rookie this season, his team has certainly had a great deal of success this season. I'll be curious to see the playoffs," he said.

evander-kane.jpg

Of course the Americans stand a good chance at the playoffs as it stands currently. All they have to do is win and they're in, but that's easier said than done a lot of times. Slaughter is hoping to contribute to his team's valuable last game of the season tonight in anyway he can. Thus far on the season the centreman has been one of the elite defensive players on his team registering a team-leading plus 42 rating on the season while leading all forwards in playing time and leading the entire team in penalty kill minutes. Moreover, the forward has recorded an impressive 56.56 faceoff percentage on the season which puts him in the top half of the league in terms of this stat.

"I think I've produced in all facets of the game to my expectations in this rookie campaign, but I'm more focused on us winning and making the playoffs. We have a good team here and I really think we could do a lot of damage in the playoffs if we make it in. I'd like to have that opportunity and it all comes down to executing tonight like we've done all season long. Time to put it all on the line and play like it's now or never. I'm hopeful that we can come out of Seattle with the win tonight," Slaughter said.

Content: 3/3 - Slaughter has definitely had a great rookie season, and the Top Rookie award could easily go to either Fjorsstrom or Slaughter. While we now know that New York is outside of the playoffs looking in, the future for the Americans is extremely bright with players like Slaughter, Low, and Wahl still in the early part of their careers.

Grammar: 2/2 - Only a few.

centring a = centering a

years, I'm = years. I'm

Appearance: 1/1 - Solid.

Overall: 6/6