WSJ on Long Offseason (Again)

Cornholio

Wolf Stansson, Jr. has yet another lengthy offseason ahead of him. Ever since he came into the VHL/M community, WSJ has not yet had a long stay in the postseason. His first year [back in S66 with Minnesota Storm] was ended prematurely as they lost to the eventual champions Philadelphia Reapers in five games. His first full year in the VHLM was in S67 with the Yukon Rush, who was also ousted early in the first round against the Halifax 21st. Through his first two years in the VHL with the Prague Phantoms, the team has not yet made it to the postseason, adding to his personal frustrations. 

"It's never been easy. I understand that you really have to play together and fight as a complete unit on a nightly basis in order to become better as a team. But we've had our opportunities.. twice in the VHLM and both times ended really early. Then no cigar in the VHL with the Prague Phantoms -- no disrespect to our team as they were an expansion team coming into the league at the same time as me. We did improve a little but, but I think that this is really more of a personal thing for me. I was used to having success within the Icelandic ranks and once I left the island, it looks like my postseason success remained on the island too. 

It also doesn't help that there isn't any international competition this year for me, I think that was what helped me progress through the long offseasons the last three years. Winning a silver and gold at the WJCs was the highlight of those offseasons, and the World Cup last year too. Nothing this year, so it feels like I've been disconnected from the VHL lately. But that only means more time for me to prepare, work on my hockey game and spend time with my family here in Iceland. I'll come back better next year and I can only hope that the rest of my teammates are doing the same. I also hope that the Phantoms front office has something cooked for this offseason, I think we need to add a big piece or two to really push us into the postseason with their talent, leadership and experience."