So close yet so far...but looking towards the future. [1/2]

CALGARY - The Red Mile was alive. It was alive once more as the Calgarians partied as the playoffs went on. However, this time, it was not about the Calgary Flames. While that Red Mile is soon to happen this season as the playoffs have not started, the Red Mile was still alive as the Calgary Wranglers defied all odds to go from a rebuilding team to being two wins away from kissing the cup. Yup. Two wins. While Jacques Lafontaine had not played in the playoffs, he was still a part of the team and was hoping that they would be able to pull it off. They seemed to be doing well on the earlier rounds.

“Yeah, we’ve been playing great hockey lately,” the young goaltender said after they had beat the Seattle Bears in six games, confirming their spot in the Victory Hockey League championship finals. “You know, I think we have a chance at winning this. Everyone has worked so hard and we’ve proven ourselves to be quite the formidable team.”

Sadly, his prediction wasn’t right as the Calgary Wranglers ended up losing to the Moscow Menace as the Russian team won their first championship as a team. While the Moscow players were taking pictures on the ice and kissing the cup, the dejected Calgary Wranglers began to head back to the locker room. They had worked so hard yet they came up just short. But they were confident that they would be able to do it next year.

“Yeah, it’s a tough loss but we’ve shown ourselves that we can do this. Next season, we’ll dominate and go all the way.” Jacques Lafontaine said after the Moscow Menace eliminated the Calgary Wranglers. “We’ll be better next year and this time, that cup will be ours.”

The Wranglers had an amazing run, winning against the DC Dragons and Seattle Bears all in six games until the Menace ousted them.

“It was still a good run, sure. But you ask anybody on our team, we want to go all the way. It’s no consolation to just have a good run. We want the perfect run. We want the winning run.”

And this time, Jacques Lafontaine might be the one standing tall for the Calgary Wranglers. With JB Rift’s contract expiring, Jacques Lafontaine will most likely have to take the reins and be the one that the Wranglers depend on. Unless something goes wrong, he will be their starter.

“Yeah. People have been saying I’m being the starter. Who knows? Maybe I will, maybe I won’t. The only thing I’m sure of is that I will try hard and push my limits. And I also speak for the team when I say that. We pushed hard this season but now we’re ready to push hard next season. We could literally taste the victory. But soon, we’ll do more than just tasting. We will be the ones holding the cup.”

We asked Jacques Lafontaine if he was nervous about this new development.

“Well, I'm a bit nervous. But nervousness is not going to stop me. No damn way it will."

• DollarAndADream changed the title to So close yet so far...but looking towards the future. [1/2]