Samuel Ross biography chapter 3:  comeback 

Brrbisbrr

After his first season in the vhl things looked up for Samuel Ross.  Davos not only made the playoffs, but made a deep run and put some pressure on the upper echelon of the VHL.  It is true that the Dynamo were a veteran heavy team and that Ross was backing up the greatest goaltender in history, but I doubt he could see the next year coming.

Ross wasn’t sure if the lights were too bright, the pressure too immense or if it was just the environment.  Season 2 wasn’t the same.  Ross didn’t feel the same.  Everyday his mind sped from thought to thought, as if it were some concord jet trying to break a world record.  A lot of professional goalies have “butterflies” “jitters” or “nerves”, some even throwing up before games.  This wasn’t Ross, though.

He had always remembered being cool.  He was always remembered as being a well liked, relatively quiet guy, but I don’t think anyone knew what that meant.  Behind the quiet demeanor and child like wonder, a sinister feeling crept into Samuel Ross.  He began to hate himself, his team, even the league.  Most of the team mates from the previous year left, but they didn’t acknowledge him anyway.  It had even been months since upper management had talked to him.  Ross figured that demanding a trade wouldn’t do him much good.  No one really needs a backup.  He wasn’t the type of guy to be toxic, so he just walked away.

One night, in a lonely apartment in the Alps, Ross stared at snowflakes falling on yet another Swiss night.  Not really connected with this world or anything out of this world Ross felt trapped  “It was a weird feeling, I felt like I was split in two.  There was this voice inside of me telling me something wasn‘t right.  I didn‘t feel well.  I had some idea that something was wrong and it got so bad I didn’t want to leave my apartment“.  After a few doctor’s visits, he decided to check himself into a mental rehab facility not far from the South Carolina home where he was raised.  Samuel Ross ran through test after test at the Charles C. Picken’s Medical Center.  The staff put him through everything ranging from the very mundane ink blot test to some weird test for schizophrenia that Ross wasn’t sure any of his personalities would understand.  After being poked and prodded it was determined he had an extreme case of social anxiety.  Ross saw several therapists and got some medication for his disorder.  He had no knowledge of what was happening to Davos.

At the same time for Davos, things were bleak.  The team had traded away most of their stars for what VHL vets called “yet another rebuild”.  Finn Davison was just about the only vet left on the team from the Dynamo’s playoff run the year prior. Finn was having another stellar year, but was not getting a lot of help from a young Dynamo team.   As a benefit to both Finn and Davos, the net minder was shipped out.  Davos plummeted in the standings.  No one on the team seemed to care much not even VHL ownership.

Samuel Ross was granted his release from the medical center and was immediately thrust into the starter position.  Ross put up rather bad numbers for a starter, but considering all that happened, that was not a surprise.  His first taste a starter left Samuel wanting more.  After a 27 game stretch that saw him go 6-20-1 with a GAA just over 3, he knew he had to get back to work.  As he hit the gym the next morning, he was greeted by his gym partner Fernando Jokinen and GM Shawn Glade.  What he overheard sent shockwaves through the Dynamo.