Looking at Su's Stats

Da_Berr

As of now, we are 2 weeks into S71 and a third of the way done regular-season games. I thought it would be interesting to make a spreadsheet and graph of my player's stats (Andrew Su), and now I have enough data to examine the results. 

First, we have single game stats, looking at how many shots comparative to goals and assists I had per game.

image.thumb.png.575891f2ecb742d3b6e391bd964aca08.png

The most interesting part of this graph that I wanted to look at is the number of shots I took per game. Starting the season I had a 20 point difference in scoring and passing (70 compared to 50). Around game 12-13 is when I started to bring my passing stat up a bit towards 60 to get the suggested 10 point difference. Due to how the sim engine works, the stats don't actually affect how good your player is at something, but instead how often they do a certain action (eg. skating, passing, or shooting) (quote me if I'm wrong, but this is what I found from looking around). Based on this idea, I assumed that since my player should be passing the puck more frequently, then the number of shots he would take would also go down. Looking at the graph before game 12 I was taking an average count of 7.5 shots per game. After I got passing up to around 60, my average was around 5.7 shots per game. There are some flaws to this, as the strength of teams I faced varied (eg. Houston and Ottawa are not the same quality of team), and there are some games where the results are an obvious extraneous case (eg. 15 shots in game 24). Everything considered though, the way the sim apparently works lines up with my personal experience. Changing your passing stat does in fact cause you to shoot less, as seen from my player stats.

Second, we have my season overall stats in goals, assists and points.

image.thumb.png.6409e07d984ff6c6a633c04cf9d47e98.png

The biggest problem with my player so far is consistency, as you can see from the graph. As of right now, I have been averaging around 1.8 points per game, with a relative balance in both goals and assists. If I were more consistent, I could be easily averaging around 2 or more points per game. Starting off the season, I had an 11 game point streak going with a total of 21 points in that span. From those 11 games, I had 7 multi-point performances and was tied for 5th in total points. We then see a plateau at around game 9-10, which spans till game 14. In those 5 games, I only had 3 points, which isn't bad but is far from the 2 points per game average I was hoping for based on the first few games. In two of those games, I was held scoreless, which was a huge detriment to that goal. After that, we see this huge spike upwards. That was my 6 point performance in game 14, and it brought me back towards that elusive 2 points per game marker. Then we once again see another plateau being held scoreless in 3 of 4 games. Recently I have started to pick it up again, scoring 2 or more points in each of the last 3 games. If I can maintain the pace I have set so far (1.8), then I would be looking at a 129 point season with 65 goals and 64 assists. And that's assuming I don't get any better from updating my player with TPE, because as of now, Su still only sits at 144 TPE, leaving a lot of room for improvement. 

Unfortunately, my personal success doesn't line up with how well the team has been doing. Currently, the Hounds are second-last in the league. As far as talent and potential, I believe that the best this team can get this season is 8th seed and scrape into the playoffs. Despite having the most wins (7) out of all the "bottom table" teams we are still one point behind Houston for the playoff spot. This is due to most of the other teams having a couple of overtime losses, giving them enough points to stay competitive with us. I believe that we should be a lot better than we are right now, and should at least be a couple of points ahead for the 8th seed. Just like my problems, our team's biggest issue is consistency. We have beaten top teams before, such as the Wild and the Aces (when we beat them they were respectably 3rd and 2nd in the league). But we have also lost to Houston twice already, a team we should be much better than. Our offence is fine, with 5 players averaging a point per game or better, but our goalies and defence have got to improve. Not one single person on our team has a positive +/- and our goalie has less than desirable splits of 0.865 SV% and 5.36 GAA. Granted some of the blame has to go to the rest of the team for our goalie's struggles in the net as he has faced 961 shots in just 24 games so far. That's around 40 shots against per game which isn't sustainable even for the best teams in the league. It can also help explain our 131 goals against, tied second-worst in the league. Despite our team's struggles if I am being honest, I believe that the only reason why my player is doing so well is because of the situation I find myself in. I was drafted 3rd round to the Hounds (their first pick) and they are currently a team that is "rebuilding." I'm currently their second-highest TPE player at 144, with Joakim Sakic at 250. As a result, I play around 28 minutes a night (close to thirty before Sakic was signed) and am on the first line for everything. All of these factors put me in the prime position to rack up points, regardless of team success. 

FULL LINK for stats

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rnkyKVpHKtcvAbeISVSuJ8R6GlUJNKsz96Ck-7teOBQ/edit#gid=0

1008 words claiming week April 6-12 and April 13-19