The Stars Of Tomorrow: Vol. 2

Patrik Tallinder

qQffnxi.jpg

Welcome everybody, to the second installment of The Stars Of Tomorrow. I also have a Draft Profiles article coming out later tonight, so be sure to look out for that. If this is your first time reading one of these, we look at two players coming to the VHL who haven't yet been created. I'm out of confirmed players after this article, so if you know the name and build of your next VHL player, please reach out to me through PM and I can include them in this series. You do not need to be near retirement. With that being said, let's take a look at our next two players!

7YMWTCZ.jpg

JACKSON PHILLIEFAN

User: @Philliefan

Current player: Jagger Philliefan (1037 TPE, S64)

Philliefan’s second player, Jackson Philliefan, will likely be coming to the VHLM in the near future. His older brother Jagger currently plays in Riga, and has had a very successful career, hoisting both the Founder’s and Continental Cup. Jagger has always been a great defenseman in transition, moving the puck up the ice quickly and efficiently. Because of this, his assists and defensive numbers have generally been excellent. 

Although Jackson and Jagger share the defensive position, Jackson’s play style is not quite the same as his brother’s. Jackson has a powerful shot from the point that makes for an effective powerplay quarterback. While his defensive numbers may not end up being as impressive as Jagger’s, his offensive upside is elite, and will almost surely have more success in that regard. This is a player to watch out for sooner rather than later, and one with much potential.

PlcO9uW.jpg

J.L. GUNNAR

User: @Big Mac

Current player: Sigard Gunnar (717 TPE, S68)

Another brother of a current VHL player, JL Gunnar is a smaller defenseman with exceptional skating ability and vision. These attributes make him a constant threat with and without the puck, seeing plays before they happen and executing at top speed. JL frequently pulls off deceptive moves and passes which most people can’t even see coming from the stands. Like Jackson Philliefan, he would be a great powerplay quarterback, but for his vision rather than his shot.

Defensively, Gunnar is still above average because of his anticipation of plays that are about to happen. He breaks up plays often, and his skating makes for a viable breakout option if no forwards are available. With defensemen becoming more and more relied on for playmaking, JL Gunnar will definitely be a highly coveted prospect.

Two players to watch for sure, and I'm excited to see what's in store for both of these players. If defense is already a strong position in the league, the future only looks brighter with Philliefan, Gunnar and the previously covered Adrienne.