Theme week stuff

jRuutu

B1dCFJ7_400x400.jpeg

I joined VHL on February 9th, 2015. During all this time I have gone through three different players and now recently started my fourth. I joined VHL from another league called SHL, if I remember correctly some people were talking about the league in our teams ´locker room´ over there, hearing them talk about VHL gave me the push to give VHL a go and here we are still despite some ups and downs on my end.

What I like about VHL is that you can write and make your player better every week that way. When I first joined VHL the meanies in charge had strict rules on grammar for example. I as a fresh-faced sim leaguer who speaku no inglish struggled with that rule, the work done was not brutal, but the articles had a fair amount of errors every week. Nowadays the rules have changed a little bit, but because of those rules and help of members like Phil who used to go over my material before I posted it here - I slowly started to get better. I still make mistakes when writing, but the rules combined with getting to create content into VHL every week have truly improved writing skills. That is a big plus and something that I did not plan on getting when I joined. I think the whole writing aspect with the potential to improve English skills on the side should be used more to market the place. If not done already, you could go to forums and sites that are made for creative writing and promote the place there. Of course the same with the graphical side, I can't make any, but a lot of members can and I think hockey fans could be found from the graphics forums and sites.

More of a side note, if someone is fairly new to the game of hockey, could make some kind informative post about hockey with links to Youtube clips, something like: how to defend, some nice goals, some cool hockey-related stories, etc, the new member can study the game that way and maybe the odds of that new member in staying increases when they know more about hockey.

roleplay.gif

Another thing I like about VHL is the whole starting from juniors and making your way to the big show journey, especially nowadays when you don´t necessarily get into a big role in VHL right away when moving up from juniors. That puts more pressure on general managers when it comes down to team management and keeping players happy. Also, it offers a platform for different players to shine, role players are perhaps more valuable than before if they are willing to take smaller roles and in the other side players who want to be stars and play in big roles have more power in a way when their demands have more weight. All in all, members can truly roleplay outside the actual sims, I think that is cool. Gone are the days when everybody got into top-6 right away after moving up into VHL.

To the end, I would like to comment that I don´t know that much about recruiting or how to keep members here. Only ´real´ suggestion I have is Reddit related, many countries have their little subreddits where they can speak using the native language, could be worth it to see if VHL could promote in the bigger European subreddits with translated versions of what VHL is all about. Many do speak English, but to get the name out there could be worth it. OR if some of the European hockey teams have fan subreddits, go there? Could find some passionate German or Czech hockey fans! Target the European market more if not done already.

Well, grammar , punctuation and run on sentences are the only negatives in this article. But I just won't give the article a bad grade because the author is learning and getting better as he mentioned, and we are here to have fun and not discriminate. I'm here if he or any other has a question or needs assistance. I refuse to be a meanie.  :)

7/10