My Journey in the VHL, And why you NEED to start playing!

Telkster

My Journey So Far

It all started back in early August last year, when I was actually playing EHM with a discord group. A couple of the guys told me to check out this league called the VHL. As soon as I joined I was invited onto a couple of VHLM teams. I was welcomed immediately by everyone on my first team, the Mississauga Hounds!  Even though our team was in the doghouse, we had a lot of fun in the discord. At the end of the season, I was shocked to see that I was drafted in the 3rd round by the Moscow Menace, I then ended up in Saskatoon the day after, due to the VHLM Dispersal draft for one more season. I was a bit sad to leave Mississauga, but looked forward to the new adventure. after 35 games or so and Saskatoon were in the doghouse too, and after positive talks with the gm, worked out a deal to get a good package for me that would help them so much more in the future. after I was traded to the Houston Bulls, We had a rocket sprint to the finish and we ended up winning the founders cup! Maybe some luck was involved with my first ever player winning a VHLM cup, but that was just the start. 

It seemed like the off-season flew by fast, and I quickly saw my first VHL game just a year after being drafted to Moscow. My first season was well, kind of a typical "I was drafted in round 3 so it was expected" kind of season. I finished my rookie season with 12 points in 72 games, but the playoffs were probably the biggest wake-up call for me. The 11 playoff games that followed, I didn't get a single point, finished a -1, and had a measly 3 shots total, I repeat TOTAL, in 11 playoff games. It was a big low, maybe not so much for our team as a whole, but me individually. Now my sophomore season is where things get really interesting. I made a pretty small offensive stat boost through the 72 games with 17 points this time. but then the playoffs came, and magic happened. Moscow pushed their way through to win the  I managed to be a producer instead of a brick on the ice and put up 7 points in 15 games. It's not 1st line numbers not even close, but I was happy with the individual progression I was having. This season is where I have really taken it to the next level production-wise, but it could be hard to maintain if this is a super lucky season based on the team and line around me. In what is the current season, I have 42 points in 58 games, which is high despite having the 2nd least amount of TPE in the forward group. This season has been going well so far, but our team is gonna have to battle hard to defend the cup again this year. 

Why You Should Join

At first it can seem overwhelming, but we will never stop answering anyone's questions! One of the great things about the VHL is how little of time you need to spend online. All you need is 10-15 minutes on average a day to build a great player! I was really excited about how stretched out the experience is. With your player lasting over a year, it gives you plenty of time to track the growth of your player. Sims are scheduled to 2 games a day, making the season go quick while giving you time to check how your player did in the last couple of games. It gives me so much satisfaction to see my player grow and leave a legacy for the future players that I will create. The VHL is ultimately determined by how much TPE you can get, and how many players you can re create. It is a long but very exciting journey that can leave you thinking about what stats you should upgrade as you fall asleep at night. TPE is everything in the VHL, the more you get the better. The best part is that you can earn a lot of TPE for the little time that it takes to earn it. You have lots of fun completing all the steps to earn TPE through things like trivia, press conferences, graphics, articles, and so much more. TPE alone takes maybe 30 mins or less a week besides if you decide to write media spots (longer yes but more TPE in turn).

The community here is a very welcoming and friendly group. We like to joke a lot, and take small jabs at rival teams who just seem to always meet you eventually come the playoffs. It all comes with the fun. Right now there are currently 12 VHL teams (the big league) and 11 teams in the VHLM (I like to think of this as a major junior league). I've been in a few online and offline hockey simulation leagues in the past, and nothing has come close to what this league's addicting level is for me at least. I started playing 6 months ago and I haven't skipped a beat. Growing my player has been a real blast, as I have created a 2 way center, who's especially good at passing. I can't wait to see how my next players turn out down the road. In the future, I like to dream that the VHL gets to 20 teams down the road, It would make for more playoff drama, as well as even more rivalries, but to achieve this, it all starts with you. If you have ever played NHL gm mode, EHM, Fifa, Madden, NBA, anything that has a simulation based engine. Then the VHL is certainly worth a good try. So while lots of us are cooped up inside, and may be getting a bit bored, the VHL will bring the game and community to you all in one wave. I hope to see lots more new faces in the future to come. 

1019 words, using for PT weeks April 20-26 and April 27-May 3