Player Profile: Patrik Laine

Laine

While the top prospects for the Season 72 VHL Draft are pretty much set in stone, there is one prospect that is the new kid on the block and has to prove himself, and his name is Patrik Laine.

HOUSTON BULLS - RW #29 - Patrik Laine

Patrik Laine is a skilled winger out of Tampere, Finland. He is dangerous all over the ice due to his skill. He has a lethal wrist shot and one timer, which makes him lethal on the power play and he is great defensively. Not bad for a guy weighing in at 205 pounds. Laine's most lethal asset beside his shot is his size. He stands 6'5 which means he can use his big frame to block shots, make hits and provide a screen in front of the net. Despite having all these tools at his disposal, Laine's road to the VHLM was not an easy one for the 18 year old. As a junior hockey player, Laine was a point a game player for the U-16 Tappara team back in Finland. In the S71 IIHF World Juniors, Laine had a tournament to remember. He led the tournament in goals with 7, points with 13 and plus-minus with a +8 on his way being named tournament MVP and leading Finland to a gold medal. Despite this, he went undrafted but received plenty of contract offers to play in the VHLM a few weeks later. Laine decided to sign a 1 year, 1.5 Million dollar contract with the Houston Bulls, where he should be playing on the 1st line along with Sidney Patrick Crosby and Riley Walker. So far in 2 games with the Houston Bulls, Laine has a 1 goal, 0 assists and has a plus-minus of -2. He is expected to stay with Houston until his contract expires at the end of S73.

Draft Potential:

If Laine continues to develop, he could be a 1st Line right winger at the VHL level. With his lethal shot and big frame at the age of 18, he still has plenty of games ahead of him. Laine both on and off the ice however, has a great personality. He is known for being a leader on the ice and setting by example, but off the ice he enjoys the media attention and loves to have fun with the fans, coaches and teammates.  However, he is also very professional and loves to have interviews with the media.

Interview with Patrik Laine:

While in the process of writing this article, we had a chance to sit down and have an interview with Laine. We ask him the following questions:

Do you think you have the potential to score 50 goals in a season?

Laine: I think I can train my shot to be able to score 50 in a season, but I won't just shoot, shoot, shoot for 50 goals. On the ice, I make sure I make the best decisions for the team whether it means I get the goal or my teammates score the goals. Whichever one helps us win more.

How does it feel being able to play for the Houston Bulls?

Laine: I didn't expect to be playing in the VHLM this time last year, but I have an opportunity and I can't waste it so I just gotta play my best hockey for the team. We have a great team, great coaches and a great front office and for my first time being in a professional hockey organization, it is an absolute dream.

Are you nervous about the upcoming draft? How do you feel in terms of your chances to get drafted by a VHL team?

Laine: I would be lying if I didn't say I was at least a little nervous about the draft. I don't pay attention to the draft rankings because for me, I know what I am capable of on and off the ice and I just need to play my game to show the VHL GMs what they could miss out on if they don't draft me.

Where do you think you would fit on a VHL roster?

Laine: I wouldn't really care where I fit on the roster, whether it is 4th line or 1st line. Of course, I would love to play on the 1st line at the VHL level but if it is best for the team for me to play on the 2nd line, I would be willing to do that to help the team win.

Okay last question. If you could get drafted by any VHL team, where would you go.

Laine: That's a tough one. I would be happy to play anywhere but if I had to choose one, I would play on the Helsinki Titans. Very close to where I grew up in Tampere, Finland and it was the team I grew up cheering for so it would be a dream come true to play there.

(Total word and character count:

823 Words, 4066 Characters)