Learning about Oh Sens

ahockeyguy

Note: The following was authored by Wolf Stansson. This is his perspective of his teammate, Oh Sens.

I love having @osens [Oh Sens] as my teammate. The man is a workhorse, and doesn’t take any crap from anyone! That’s the kind of fire you need to succeed, in my opinion. Recently, I got a chance to learn more about my teammate—not simply as a hockey player, but as a person. And that is a truly valuable experience. The following is an interview with light editing and commentary.palm trees miami GIF

WS: Oh Sens, I love having you as a teammate. You play hard, you have personality, and heart. Tell me, what is it like to play for the expansion Miami Marauders?

OS: Hello, thanks for asking me for an interview, it has been a pleasure to be a part of this historic run with Miami Marauders.

It has been really fun to play for the Miami Marauders. This team is awesome and my teammates are very friendly. I have gotten in some trouble with Miami journalists, but [the] team knows these allegations are fake and I am clean as a blank paper sheet. Team board is really good, they fight for their players and it gives me confidence, that I won't be left on the edge of the cliff stranded without any help.

WS note: It has been an especially awesome pleasure to watch Oh Sens deal with this drama. Contrary to being a locker-room distraction, Sens’ response has been one of galvanization. Say what you will about the Marauders, they band together when the going gets tough.

WS: Would it have been better to play for someone else your first season?

WS note: I asked this question because, up until recently,  there has been a lot of losing. We’re all competitors here; no one likes to lose. So it’s a natural enough question: would you like to have been on another team, perhaps one that wins at a bit higher clip than we do?

OS: I wouldn't have grown so much on other teams, because here we have [a] really great GM and AGM. Both of them are really friendly and they will help with everything. I have a feeling I would just feel invisible in other teams. In Miami our board always checks on every player and how they are feeling. A lot of people always are saying that Miami is one of the best places to be in VHLM so I am really happy to be here and I am excited what the future holds for us!

WS note: By this question and response, there was no indication that we were slamming other players, GMs/AGMs, or other teams. We were just in agreement that Miami has been a fun place to be and a great learning experience, if I may extrapolate from what Oh Sens and I conversed about.  

WS: What kinds of things do you like? Give us some insight into that personality!

OS: I like a lot of things about sports. I love that everything is unpredictable and exciting. Also I am pretty big gaming fun. Duh, who isn't. Gaming is my place to take a pause from everyday [life].

WS: Where do you call home now [in real life]?

WS: What was your first experience watching hockey, and do you play at all?

OS: I don't remember my first time watching hockey, because I was really young then. But my parents said I knew all of my local team player names so I was really into it.

I don't personally play hockey, closest thing to hockey I have played is floorball, where I was a goalie but that was also on amateur level so nothing serious. Just playing in local gym with some lads.

WS note: One thing I absolutely love about theme week is it forced me to learn some basic facts about people—facts that, if I knew them in real life, would be readily apparent, but here, I could theoretically go years and years without ever knowing about Oh Sens. I have never known anyone who lived in Latvia, and so this basic, fundamental question gives me avenues for new questions, and new opportunities to know people outside of my normal circle. I love it!

WS: If you could describe your real-life personality in seven words or less, what would you say?

OS: Pretty ambitious young man who is scared of bullies.

WS note: I know this wasn’t seven words or less, but the fact is it was both insightful and concise—in other words, it met the spirit of the law, if not the letter.

WS: Last question: do you think Miami will hold on to that playoff spot?

OS: I would love for Miami to hold that spot in playoffs and I think we have a lot of potential to do it, but this season is not the most important one. This season we are young and up and coming team, we are hungry challengers, but next season we will be ready for something bigger, hopefully winning it all so we can be a part of VHLM history.

So here we have a player who contributes on the ice, who fights for himself and his teammates off of it, and someone who is vulnerable when he needs to be. He wants to do well, to prove to himself and others that he belongs—and yet we see that softer side as well. Time will tell whether he proves himself to the main people who matter—Oh Sens and his loved ones!

Review: Very nicely put together Wolf. I always enjoy a good interview. My only critique would be that there isn’t enough separation between the questions and answers. A simple way to fix that would be to bold the persons name who is about to ask or answer the question. It just makes it stand out that much more. Otherwise you did a very good job and I am excited to read more of your work in the future. Rating: 8.2/10