Player Interview: Joromir Jogr

Temppi

It is a warm day in Ottawa. Zero clouds over the city, sun is shining, birds are chirping...it's a perfect summer day. And as we know, it's a great day for hockey. I am here to interview Mr Joromir Jogr. I was supposed to interview Jogr before the game but my plane arrived couple hours late, but I managed to arrange the interview after the game which was very good indeed. 

Jogr seems to be a true gentleman. By the time I arrived to the airport, he had called his manager to get me a ticket and a driver to tonight's game. Since it was around 1 hour until game time, the driver drove me directly to the rink. Jogr plays in a VHLM club called Ottawa Lynx. It is Jogr's first season outside Czech Republic but it seems that it hasn't affected him game-wise. Before tonight, he has played 5 games, totaling 3 goals and 5 assists. Good start to his VHLM career, so to say. Okay, the game seems to be starting shortly. 

What a game it was for Jogr! He scored 1 and assisted 2 goals. I knew this Czech wonderkid was a great player, but wow I certainly wasn't expecting this. He is fast, huge, strong and on top of that, he really knows how to score goals and create dangerous plays. What a player. One for the future for sure.

To the locker room we go. This place seems to be stacked of reporters. I am going to have to wait for a while I think.

After a little under 50 minutes of waiting, the last reporters are heading out. It's finally time for my interview now.

Hi Jogr, you were pretty terrific in the rink tonight. What do you think about tonight's game? 

- Hey. Yeah, I just had a great feeling tonight before the game. Wyane Gyrzky told me to have a burger before the game, so I had a Big Mac meal from McDonald's before the game. I am pretty sure that boosted my performance tonight. But you know, let's just keep this our secret okay? I don't want the coach to know about me doing this kind of stuff since I'm pretty new guy here. *Laughs*

Oh hahah. No I certainly won't tell anyone but you know this interview is going to the VHL page, right?

- Oh my... I guess I am screwed then. *Laughs*

Hahah we'll see, we'll see.  I was pretty amazed by the goal you scored in the second period. You wanna tell me what happened?

- Yeah that was a great goal. I really liked it. I have been practicing those moves for a while now and to be honest: I never thought I would use that in game but as you can see, anything can happen. I just had a really good spot to try it.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Your teammate, Ajay Krishna, had a great game aswell, shutout with 20 shots.

- Ajay has been performing very well. I've only been in the team for couple of days, but I can already tell that one day Ajay is going to be a top goalie in VHL for sure. Tonight's game would have been easily  4-1 or 4-2 without Ajay performing on top of his game tonight. Ajay the great!

Ajay was great indeed. I see you've started to grow a mullet. Are you aiming to get as long as Jaromir Jagr had in the 1990's?

- I think this doesn't surprise anyone but since I have a similar name as Jagr and I'm from Czech Republic too I just really want to kind of uhmm... how could i say this...continue his "legacy" you know? Long live the mullet! 

That sounds like a good plan. There's never enough mullets in the hockey rink. I have no further questions. I just wanted to know I've followed your career since you started in Czech juniors. You're my favourite player.

- Thank you very much, I appreciate it. If you ever feel like you want to do another interview or something like that, feel free to call my manager. I make sure to make up some time. Could have a beer or two aswell. Actually, don't put that last thing into the interview please. You know, coach could be reading...

I'm afraid it is already there. I am sorry. 

-  Okay. Sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut. First week here, and I've already told you that I had a Big Mac meal before the game + invited you to a beer. *Laughs*

Hahah yeah. I have no more questions but do you have anything you want to say or tell us?

- Thanks for the interview. Oh man I have so many stories from the Czech Republic but I am not sure if they are appropriate at all. I think I will make my first wise choice in this interview and keep those stories for myself at least for now on.

But since you are asking I have one... I wanted to tell you about the name of our junior hockey team. I thought that Prague Plague was a great name until I learnt some English in school...what on earth were they thinking??  *Laughs*

All in all, I enjoy playing for Lynx. I have nice teammates and our coaching team is doing great job. I'm excited for the future. See ya around, fellas!

Interesting club name. I think I have to contact Prague Plague's staff and ask about the name. Pretty weird indeed. Thanks for the interview Jogr and keep the goals coming!

Joromir Jogr is currently playing for VHLM team Ottawa Lynx. So far he has scored 4 goals and 6 assists in 10 games. Stay tuned, I might call Jogr next week and ask some new questions...