Hackett Addresses His Retirement

Renomitsu

Riga, Latvia - In a move that shocked many outside of the Reign, Apollo Hackett announced his impending retirement on June 15th, 2020 - just six and a half seasons through what he considered a career of underperforming with a team that took their chance on him.

"There are... many reasons why I'm calling it quits now," Apollo soberly expressed at a packed press conference, "obviously physically I can handle the punishment of the VHL for a while longer. That's why I'm not up and vanishing on the Reign at this moment."

"But I think it's time to acknowledge that I haven't been the kind of player I've wanted to be. I want to continue to be a good mentor to Guy [Sasakamoose, the second half of Riga's first pair], and I feel as though all of our defenders have grown so quickly and wonderfully that a lot of what I can accomplish would just hold some of these great younger players back. Tate's going to continue to be a top-flight leader for our boys in orange, I have no doubt about that. I want the VHL world to see just how unbelievably good Guy is instead of thinking he's a sidekick."

"I have been absolutely, unquestionably blessed to play in Latvia - even if my language skills still aren't the best. Sorry boss," he said to a chuckling crowd. "Some of the best players on the planet have been my teammates. But I still have so much more of a life left to live, and I think it's time I transition into an advisory role rather than one properly on the ice during games."

"You'll still find me loitering around here after the season ends - hopefully while hoisting the Cup," he remarked, beaming. "You can rest assured I'm not done yet. Riga deserves the best, and you can be damn sure I'm going to put my body on the line to make sure we get it."