Similarities between the OHL and VHLM

I want to start off for those of you that don’t know me I’m from a small northern Ontario, Canada town Sault Ste. Marie. In all honesty there is not much to do there other than fish hunt, drink and play hockey. I’m not a big hunter or fisher but do get myself going in the latter 2. So in Ontario there is a league called the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) it is one of 3 leagues that are a part of the CHL (Canadian Hockey League). If you know anything about hockey you will know it because the CHL which includes the OHL, WHL, and the QMJHL is arguably the best developmental league in the world for the NHL. Now to put this in perspective for you here is a list of the number of players taken from the CHL as a whole in the first round of the last 5 NHL drafts, I have also added if a player from any league in the CHL went 1st it 2nd overall.

13 players 2019 

13 players 2018, 2nd overall

14 players 2017,1st and 2nd overall

15 players 2016

18 players 2015,1st overall

Now that anyone who didn’t know understands exactly what the OHL and CHL is to the NHL I can continue on talking about why they are similar to the VHLM. So the first major similarity is an obvious one which I just went into detail about, the VHLM is the development league the the VHL. It is where all the young new recruits go in order to be given the tools and have the time to work and develop themselves into a rising star . It is a league where you see guy come in with no idea what they are doing blossom into superstars that tear up the VHL. It is a beautiful site to see just as we see it in the OHL with guys that have come through such as Mitch Marner, And Connor Mcdavid!

Not only is it just similar in the way they develop players but is is similar in the style of play. It is more of a run and gun kind of league, anyone can beat anyone on any given night that is just how junior hockey goes. High scoring games, high scoring players a select few more than the others one year to the next. It seems in the OHL there are always a few players that highly skilled above the rest, just like in the VHL you have your top tier players who have been around already for a season or two and your second tier players that are just starting out. Those players that are the top tier just as in the VHLM find themselves playing in the WJC around Christmas time.

The last big similarity between the OHL and the VHLM is the trade deadline and going for the Championship. Year after year in the OHL or any CHL league teams that have a shot at title trade away parts of their future for the biggest names available. There is one reason for this and it is the same reason in both of the leagues, the top end players don’t stick around. They either advance up to the NHL or on the case of the VHLM they advance up to the VHL it is the exact same format. The best example of this is the Reapers this past deadline they did exactly what any contending OHL team does you load up with the best players available from the lower end teams in order to increase your chances of winning. For me this is the absolutley biggest similarity the graduation of the leagues top players to the best of the best. 
     I hope you enjoyed this read and some insight into exactly what I feel that the VHLM is as a whole and how it compares to my favourite league to watch in my actual life !?