The Terrible Trivium Hits London - A Rookie Experience Piece

der meister

"I knew coming into this season that we would probably struggle," admitted London United's rookie winger The Terrible Trivium, following a recent 6-3 loss. "We're an expansion team. It happens. Our goaltending pair to start the season were guys that we found in house leagues." There's a pause as Trivium appears to gather his thoughts. "I think across the VHL, most teams would have sent me back down to the VHLM for a second season. We [the VHLM's Minnesota Storm] were damn good last season. We could have won it all, but everything fell apart in the playoffs. I could have had a second shot at a Founder's Cup." There's a pause as Trivium stares at nothing, as if he's imagining himself skating a victory lap with the Founder's Cup held high. His face resolves into hardness, eyes narrowed. "That's not what I want," he adds, in a voice that's more growl than anything.

There have been reports that immediately following the VHL Entry Draft, London United General Manager McWolf was in contact with the winger, a conversation that allegedly went deep into the night. While we may never know all of the details of that conversation, there is confirmation that Trivium was heavily involved in the decision as to where he would play following the draft.

"I told McWolf that win or lose, I want to be part of the London United's inaugural season," Trivium revealed. "Whether it was the top line or the bottom line or in net, London is where I wanted to be, and it's still true."

Seven reasons why London will thrive regardless of Brexit - CityAM ...

One of many bridges that cross the Thames in downtown London.

While the season started strongly on a personal level for Trivium, who notched 6 points in his first 6 games, he quickly became a target for opposing teams and has struggled to work through that. "I knew the games would be tighter checking than in the VHLM," Trivium said. "It comes with the territory. Between that and some bad luck, my scoring dried up for a while." Trivium currently sits at 6 goals and 15 points in 27 games, with an even 100 shots and three minor penalties on the season. "I didn't come into this season expecting to score a point-per-game or anything like that. Honestly, half a point is probably better than I should expect, but we're making it happen. Every week, every game, I'm trying to improve my play."

"I know I have a lot of work to do to make London a team to be feared in this league," Trivium concluded. "We all do. But I believe we have a lot of talent and potential in this locker room, a lot of determination and desire to play for each other. United isn't just our team name; it's how each and every one of us in this room feels, and the way each and every one of us wants to play game in, game out."

42449510_1653478514757513_12929917268430

The United faced off for an exhibition game against a local club team before the VHL season got underway. 

Edited by der meister

6 hours ago, der meister said:

"I told McWolf that win or lose, I want to be part of the London United's inaugural season," Trivium revealed. "Whether it was the top line or the bottom line or in net, London is where I wanted to be, and it's still true."

STHS wouldn't allow it. What a shame