D

S73 Lincoln Tate

S73 Jeff Downey

C

S73 Brock Louth

W

S73 Sigard Gunnar

S73 Patrik Tallinder

VHL has a long and cherished history, with over 70 seasons of play. During that time, we have seen both highs and lows, and historic players pass through the league. As in any sport, we often wonder which of these historic players was the best and what would be the best team you could build with these historic players. Unfortunately, I don't have a great grasp of VHL history, as I only joined in season 72. For my own sake, and to prevent just picking the top TPE players in VHL history. My team is only going to be made of players that are currently playing from their prime seasons. I will be assembling a group of players who are solely judged on their best season for my team. For my dream team, I'm going to attempt to fill 1 full line, which includes 3 forwards, 2 defencemen, and 1 goalie. *NOTE* After finishing this I realized that almost all of my players are from S73 which makes sense as it was the season when all stats were greatly increased due to the expansion teams.

Our primary starter and absolute brick wall in the net is Rayz Funk from season 69. Despite him comparable numbers and more wins in season 73, I still think that Funk in season 69 was something special. Posting impressive stats of 39 wins, a0.923 SV%, 2.25 GAA and 8 SO, Funk was the type of goalie that could steal games that season. He was also able to perform in high-stress situations as seen with his cup win and playoff MVP trophy in the same season. With him in net, our team has a solid foundation to build out from. 

Moving out from net we have our defence pairing of Lincoln Tate and Jeff Downey, both from S73. Tate that season posted 20 goals, 85 assists and    105 points, all the while having a +/- of 40, 250 hits and 130 shots blocked. As seen from the stats Tate is an impressive two-way threat, with great vision and ability to move the puck. Not only does he bring a huge physical presence to our backend, but also a much-needed puck-moving playstyle that helps compliant the rest of the skaters on the team. Downey that season, just beat out in the points category with 32 goals, 74 assists and 106 points. That coupled with a +/- of 34, 149 hits, and 138 SB, he is wholly deserving to be on this team. His playstyle is a bit different from Tate, with a larger emphasis on scoring, and less on physicality. Despite that, he is still a force to be reckoned with in the defensive zone. He along with Tate makes a very dangerous one-two punch for our Dmen.

For our forwards, we have all season 73 players in Brock Louth, Sigard Gunnar and Patrik Tallinder. Louth put up 46 goals, 59 assists and 105 points that season while having over 200 hits. Playing very physical for a forward, Louth is currently one of the best two-way forwards in the league and along with that brings a deadly shot. Gunnar is almost the same as Louth, with 60 goals, 59 assists, 119 points and over 150 hits. He is more of a sniper than Louth, for the trade-off of a bit less physicality. Finally, we have Tallinder, who is a bit younger than the rest of the guys here. With 41 goals, 58 assists and 99 points in season 73, he is the perfect supporting skater you need for a team. Although he isn't as physical as the others, he is a great all-around offensive tool for any team.