3 Takeaway from a Waiver Player

youloser1337

This past season was my very first season in the VHLM. I was a waiver pickup after leaving juniors for better competition. This was my first pro level hockey and I'm surprised how well I did. From being contacted by the Reapers to being put on the second line. It has been a magical season. Of course the real work starts this weekend with the draft. I will get my first stable home and try to prove why I deserve to be in the VHL. I want to reflect on this season though. In only 34 games I definitely learned a lot. I want to talk about 3 takeaways from my first season.

Rough transitions

Number one has to be the fact that transitioning from juniors to VHLM isn't going to be easy. I was held off the score sheet for multiple games when I first joined. Being placed on the 2nd line is always a great achievement but you have to earn it. Once I found my groove I felt like I belonged here. That transition was a learning experience though.

Defense Defense Defense

Only being a +/- 1 is not great. I want to keep the puck out of my net more than scoring. If you want to win games you have to have a solid +/- in my opinion.  To add onto this would be staying out of the box. Just staying level headed will decrease the amount of time in the penalty box. 20 pims in 34 games is not okay.

This is a team game

For my final takeaway, I need to realize this is a team game. Individual stats are great, but being a great teammate and having chemistry is what really matters. 19 points in 34 games is okay but the Reapers failed to make the playoffs by 3 points. Somehow I feel like I should have done more to get there. I know it's not okay to put all the stress on myself. We work as a team and go down as a team. Hopefully next season I will realize that.

Those are some of my takeaways from the past season. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on how you did or what your takeaways are. I'm super pumped for the draft, it is a nice clean start for me. I can't wait to finally hear my name called. At least I hope my name is called. Would be embarrassing to say hearing my name be called and then it doesn't...

player.thumb.jpg.474af6e22328d0d7d12f19f816c75d66.jpg