The jump from USHL to VHLM

Gally

Lenny Sanderson, an Antarctic left wing, has declared himself eligible for the VHLM after finishing his 18 year old season in the USHL with the Sioux City Musketeers. The jump from USHL, basically the American equivalent to the CHL, is a long one. A lot of players have had experience in the NCAA or the CHL itself, but the USHL is a tier down, and Sanderson has to face more obstacles than the average VHLMer. A VHLM reporter caught up with Sanderson hours after he made his decision. 

Reporter: So, Lenny. We don't exactly see someone from Antarctica every day. What's the main difference in your development from, say, a Canadian kid?

Lenny Sanderson: I didn't play organized hockey until I was 10 years old, I was just practicing on the rink beside my house for a while. I wouldn't say I have a disadvantage, though, because I probably spent upwards of three hours a day playing hockey with my dad.

Reporter: What are you most excited about in the VHLM?

LS: It's obviously going to be fun to play pro hockey, it's every kid's dream. I think playing on this high a level is really cool, and I'm excited to play with guys from around the world

Reporter: A little bit of a personal question here: What was it like not seeing any other kids? You were practically isolated your entire childhood

LS: Since I never had friends, it's hard to miss them. It's hard to miss something you never had. But still, I didn't have much company, and it was boring at times. My parents did a great job homeschooling me, and I did well in high school in Sioux City, so I think I'm adapting. 

Reporter: One last question. I heard that you're an environmentalist. Care to explain?

LS: Yeah, I sort of am. Growing up in Antarctica, I watched more and more of my country melt into the ocean over the years. The water levels are rising, and the earth is getting hotter. Change is needed, and I plan to spread the knowledge everywhere I go. 

Reporter: Thanks for your time, Lenny.

LS: Thanks.

358 words