Looking at S72 Draftees and Where They are Now (2/4)

Da_Berr

With most S72 players entering their 4th or 3rd year in the VHL, I think it's about time to review each draft pick (at least in the first round) and determine how they have been doing so far. Today it's time for picks 7-12.

7. Jungkok
Jungkok is probably one of the best 2-way forwards that was picked in S72. Despite struggling for the first 2 seasons of his career in VAN, after being traded to MAL, he finally started showing his potential. With his aggressive physical play and balanced offensive capability, any team would welcome a talent like Jungkok. With a great last season in S74, with 69 points and over 300 HITS, he has an immense impact anywhere on the ice.

8. Viktor Alexei Kamenov
Viktor Alexei Kamenov as 8th OA felt like a reach on draft day. Despite having as much potential as any other prospect picked in the first round, his overall talent on draft day was a bit lower than any other first-rounder and possibly a few second-rounders. Despite a few decent seasons with over 40 points and 140 SB, his performance for a first-rounder could leave more to be desired. He for sure can't be called a bust, or even a bad player, but is currently looking like a 2nd line defenceman will be his ceiling.

9. Lucas Brandt
Lucas Brandt was one of the highest touted centers in his draft class and for good reason. In his rookie and sophomore seasons, he had over 60 points in each, almost reaching 70. Showing immense offensive talent, he had the potential to be one of the top scorers in the VHL in the future. It's a shame that he seemed to hit a wall in terms of development at the start of S74. Despite not improving his skills for a few seasons now, he still remains a solid offensive piece and one of the best second-line centers in the league.

10. Valtteri Vaakanainen
It's interesting to see that the second-best prospect on the draft day went all the way to 10 OA, due to the GM player draft rule. Definitely the biggest steal on draft day, Valtteri Vaakanainen has had an outstanding career so far. Despite having a terrible rookie season (who didn't in S72) with only 28 points, he quickly improved. So far in the previous 2 seasons, he has had over a PPG, with 74 points and 73 points respectively. He was also a huge factor in the HSK playoff run in both S73 and S74. So far he has had a great career and compared to the S72 draft class, has one of the highest potentials to win a few individual awards and make the HOF.

11. Alex Letang
Alex Letang was one of the best defensemen that way drafted in S72. Despite not having huge goal-scoring potential, he has been a consistent quarterback in MOS offence. In his rookie season, he showed this quarterbacking potential with 53 points and 40 assists. He followed that up, by consistently improving and had 79 points and 62 assists in S74. Despite not being a physical defenceman, Alex Letang also is a solid contributor in the defensive zone, with over 100 SB in each season he's played in the VHL.

12. Timothy Brown
Ending the first round we have the pick of Timothy Brown. He has been a solid player for a SEA so far and has definitely surpassed some players that were picked in front of them. With 44 points and over 200 hits in his rookie season, Brown has been consistently improving since then. Having a solid balance of both offensive and defensive skill, he is a welcome addition to any forward line. This current season, he looks like he'll be looking to break out.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost missed this article, I saw 3/4 and had to go looking for this one lol. It's crazy to think how deep our class was. I liked your summary for each player, it doesn't drag on like many research articles tend to do. I would've liked to see a picture or graphic of some kind in the article but it's not a big deal. 9/10 article.

I really enjoied this article, I think you made a great work whit each bio of each player, I am now waiting for the end of the S72 draft so you can talk about the S73 draft, as I was in it and i'm curius to know where I ended, by the way if I give you a ten out of a ten, can you put me in first position for the S73 draft? 

jokes a part, you really made a great job, this gets a solid 9 out of a 10.