What if the World Cup was filled with actual countries

Red

I know having weird teams like Europe, Asia and World makes international tournaments more competitive and all, but I can't stop myself from wondering what it would be like if there were a bunch of real smaller countries instead of just these made up teams. Even though many of these smaller teams wouldn't be good enough to compete in the finals and would probably get stomped on in most games, I think it would be really interesting to see underdog teams compete there hearts out with the possibility of a massive upset.

I think if the World Cup were to change in this way then maybe instead of having a set number of teams each year, you could make it so in order to qualify for the tournament countries would have to fit a certain roster requirement like 6F 4D 1G or something. And if that results in too many teams you could slap a TPE requirement also.

Possible Issues with this type of format could be that the tournament would be longer since there would probably be more teams. Also if you go with 6F 4D and 1G as the requirements then you would probably get some teams that are filled mostly with inactives. There could be other major problems that I don't know also.

On the other hand though I think this could create an environment where members would be encouraged to make there player from an interesting country instead of some basic ass one's like Canada or the U.S. You could see small friend groups in the VHL recreate together in a remote country in an effort to qualify that country to the World Cup (Greenland/San Marino???), which I think could be funny. This can also give out a lot more GMing experience for aspiring members assuming that there'd be more teams.

All in all I think this could add some spice to the tournament that could make it a bit more prominent.

This could also be a stupid idea for all I know, but whatever I need TPE.

Edited by RedSus

I actually agree. Although I say that with no research on how many teams can actually fill a 6/4/1 roster, but I think it would be more fun, though admittedly maybe some teams would not be competitive... I also personally find it a little difficult to get excited about representing a country that wasn't where my player's from ie. I don't want to play for Team World or something when I make a player from USA or Canada...

Actual countries makes it feel like actual international play.

Just now, tcookie said:

I actually agree. Although I say that with no research on how many teams can actually fill a 6/4/1 roster, but I think it would be more fun, though admittedly maybe some teams would not be competitive... I also personally find it a little difficult to get excited about representing a country that wasn't where my player's from ie. I don't want to play for Team World or something when I make a player from USA or Canada...

Actual countries makes it feel like actual international play.

I could make a media spot in the future and try to see how many teams could actually qualify for something like this. looking at the portal there's a number of teams that could fill a 6/4/1 but many of them have 3 or 4 active players. Still, personally I would rather play on team Ireland (which would literally just be me and Odin Omdahl with a bunch of inactives) then playing for team Europe.

I think part of the idea for Team World and Team Mercenaries is that some of the middle to lower TPE Canadian and American players will still get to participate, as well as members from tiny nations with only 1 good player. Interesting idea though