When two Bears meet

jRuutu

giphy.gif

Game 16 in the S76 World Cup was a battle between the USA and Team World. The game ended 2-0 for Team World. The highlight of the game was in the first period when two veteran players dropped the gloves. What made the majestic battle even more interesting is the fact that the two players represent the same team in VHL! I'm of course talking about the fight between Randy Marsh of USA and Team World player Jim Bob.

Marsh and Bob are known for their physicality. Randy Marsh has 1089 hits and 916 penalty minutes in 360 career games. Jim Bob's numbers are 1577 hits and 893 penalty minutes in 432 games. Despite both player's willingness to play hard, it's still unusual to see teammates drop the gloves.  Did something happen? Why was Jim Bob thrown out of the game after the fight? We were able to ask those questions from Jim Bob as he was walking towards the dressing room moments after the game misconduct verdict.

This is what Jim Bob had to say:

''Marsh kept smirking at me, when a man with at most 8 teeth in his mouth looks at you like that, he is clearly trying something, so I gave him a quick tap on the hands with my stick and asked if he wants to go. He was ready and we went at it. I thought the fight was a fair fight.

I know Marsh, we have played together for over two years, he is a tough customer, he knows the game. We both tried to give our teams a bit of an energy boost, in these international games it's sometimes difficult to get that ''battle'' feeling going as there are so many games in a short period of time. Dropping the gloves is a way to add some rivalry and fire into the games. Unfortunately, the refs thought I was the instigator with my stick tap on his hands, I thought that was a soft call''.

Bob at first was hesitant to comment whether the fight is going to affect the relationship between the two Seattle Bears players, but as he was walking away he shouted a reply that might shed light on that:

''When two Bears meet in the forest, sometimes things happen, but at the end of the day they are still Bears''.

4ca8a9c278db698b839c09c6c85dacd9.gif

Despite Bob getting thrown out of the game early in the first period, Team World won the game with two goals from Marshall James Frostbeard, so without a doubt, Bob and Team World supporters are on the happier side after the game.  Frostbeard was the first star of the game with two goals, Krishna in net was the second star with 20 saves and a shoutout, Block in the defense had two assists and three shots blocked, he was the third star.

Remains to be seen whether Bob is going to receive any additional suspensions from the World Cup Federation. The WCF has typically been against fighting and publicly stated that fighting does not have a place in the game of hockey.

I liked the pacing of this article, the gif and the color coding. It was a great article to not only highlight a recent world cup game but also focusing on a event that happened during the first period which was the fight. We don't really get much information while viewing the fights as to why or how it happened and this is just a great recap of what actually went down!

Well done! Couldn't find any faults with this one! 10/10!

Review: 

Have to say, when I see an article about Bears it instantly helps me remember to good old days. I guess nothing has really changed in Bears town? Love to see that there is a rivalry outside the team going too! When talking about an article, have to say that using a GIF like that instantly gets extra points from my end, also, the fact that the parts where Jim Bob speaks are highlighted in Seattle Red just adds a whole different dimension. To add a little bit, I think the fact that you decided to focus on the fight over great performances by both players just shows your character's grit. Great job! Overall, great article by a great member of our community! 9/10

Edited by FrostBeard