Dear in the headlights

Deee.Geee

New Miami Marauders defenseman Damien Salducci joined the hosts of VHL’s “Top Shelf” podcast for a quick chat during the busy draft season. Below is a transcription.

Top Shelf: Firstly Damien we want to throw a big congrats your way for your selection in the VHLM draft for season 77. Are you now less nervous or more nervous than before the draft?

Salducci: [Laughs} Um I’d say both, if that’s possible? No it definitely feels like a weight off my shoulders in one way, but when I think about it a lot more, realize what is up ahead, it starts to get a bit overwhelming. I am lucky to be surrounded by a great family first of all, who really are keeping me sane.

Top Shelf:  Tell us about last night, were you able to celebrate with your family?

Salducci: Yea I was, it was great.

Top Shelf: Champagne was flowing?

Salducci: Well I am under age and um, I’ve never tasted champagne in my life. Yea let’s go with that.

Top Shelf: Fair enough! Let’s get to the meat of the draft. You were picked 42nd overall. In fairness I think you were slated to be selected later on, any idea what it is about your game that had Miami go over some other players and pick you?

Salducci: Yea if you told me last week that I would be in the 42nd slot, I wouldn’t have believed it. I am guessing they see the effort I put in every week to grow my game.

Top Shelf: What round did you think you’d be selected in?

Salducci: Um definitely not the 4th, more like the 5th or the 6th. I was preparing for anything, maybe even not getting picked.

Top Shelf: That’s a healthy mindset to have for sure Damien. Now you’re heading into an interesting situation; the Marauders were one of the best defensive teams last season, and you’re joining a crew of very established and dynamic players. Any idea what the expectation is of you, and what kind of game do you want to carve out for yourself in the team?

Salducci: You know, I was kinda surprised they picked me because I figured they were so loaded on defense. Also, my dad always told me that you always want to play with people better than you – they bring up your game. He certainly reminded me of that last night [laughs]. It’s obviously flattering to know they think I can compliment their guys, and that’s exactly what I want to do. It’ll take a few games for me to figure out the pace of the VHLM but I am sure that I can adapt. I made it this far doing that over the years!

Top Shelf: Alright last question here – when we say Miami, what do you think of, and what about the city excites you the most?

Salducci: I mean I can’t not mention the beaches, the boulevards on South Beach I think?

Top Shelf: Yup on South Beach

Salducci: Right, and the Cuban music and food. Really excited to get seafood, I am from the North of Italy, it’s a totally different food scene back home.

Top Shelf: Alright Damien, thanks for your time, and best of luck next season.

Damien: Was a pleasure, bye guys

(551 words, claiming for week ending March 28)

Edited by Deee.Geee

Review

Really enjoyed this interview and your style, it's fun to see someone take a humble approach and talk about the challenges and little personal elements that come with starting your career. The formatting got the job done but it was very simple, maybe a headline or a picture could spice things up for the future.

9/10