Realities Where Leon Gutzwiler Wasn't Traded

Gwdjohnson

So its Theme Week, and for this season's theme of alternate realities I wanted to reminisce a little bit and focus on the impacts of trades I've been involved in, and how perhaps things would have gone for teams involved and myself if the trades didn't take place.

First trade:  LAS VEGAS -> HALIFAX (VHLM, 1st season)

This trade basically saved my VHL career and activity I would say. In an alternate reality where my trade to Halifax did not take place, chances are I would have gone inactive right away. Nothing necessarily against the team, and I remember I got on really well with their Co-GM at the time, but I wanted to play with my buddy who created with me, but wasn't committed enough to request a trade to make it happen. As for the impact, I think Halifax got good value out of me for the one season I played there with my friend, so its nice for them, and for Las Vegas they recouped solid value for a guy who probably wouldn't have stuck around. A pretty win-win trade overall that had it not happened probably would've sucked for both teams. This alternate reality of no trade absolutely blows for both sides in my opinion.

Second trade: HALIFAX -> MINNESOTA (VHLM, 2nd season)

This was a fun one. After a so-so season in Halifax, they decided it was time to ship players out and bring in some more picks to build for future seasons. As for Minnesota, now was their time to strike and bring in some top quality players. They traded for me and my bud Gabriel Gutzwiler, and in doing so added two players who ended up being a couple of the best players in the league. I'm pretty sure both of us ended up being in the top 10 in scoring in what ended up being a dominant season in Minnesota, and not only that but we ended up going on to win a cup in Minnesota too, with both of us tearing it up in the playoffs. In an alternate universe where this trade didn't happen, its also kind of a lose-lose, because Halifax would not have recouped important picks to build with from the deal, and I doubt that Minnesota would be nearly as likely to win without our impact there. Retention wise I think it would've hurt me if this trade did not take place, as I did very much enjoy going crazy and putting up a lot of point in my last junior season, and especially topping it off with a cup made it super memorable and helped keep me engaged. I am glad that trade happened, annd its another situation where in an alternate universe of it not happening, both teams would definitely be worse off for it.

Third trade: New York -> Toronto (VHL, 3rd season)

Yeah this one was kind of the nail in the coffin for me, and unlike the last two this one more annoyed me than helped my retention. I liked playing for Esso in New York, and was a little annoyed at getting traded because being not very active in the first place made it hard to settle in and get to know people when I kept getting traded lmao. In an alternate universe where this trade doesn't happen, I think both teams would kinda come out winning. Toronto didn't pay much to get me and my pal but we also didn't develop much at all after the trade. New York could've benefitted from keeping us because I probably would have stayed more active there. In both scenarios of reality and the alternate universe, the results from the trade/no trade are overall pretty inconsequential.

Welp that's another media spot where I talk about Leon because of my limited league knowledge, I kind of miss him now but now I hope to make a better player who won't be traded as much lmao.

(658 words)

For what it's worth I put some of my eggs into the Gutzwiler brother basket. Sad that you both wound up inactive (for the most part) but the depth was nice.

Edited by Peace