Spoke Too Soon

Toast

DAWSON ON THE MOVE

After commenting on Trade Deadline to media, Seattle moved Phoenix Dawson to Toronto in a one-for-one deal

Nova Scotia's Drake Batherson gets call-up to NHL | CBC News
Phoenix Dawson meets with Toronto media following his first practice with the team earlier this week

TORONTO, ON — At the start of the season Phoenix Dawson had dreams of being Seattle’s number one center in a few seasons. Now, he finds himself looking for a new home in Ontario. The young center was traded from the Seattle Bears at the trade deadline in exchange for Frank Funk Jr. 

Both players coming from the S76 Entry Draft, this transaction is looked at as both teams looking to give their young players a fresh start on different teams. Seattle and Toronto continue to battle it out for the top of the North American conference with Dawson and Frank finding themselves in similar situations on their new teams.

“I think Toronto gives me the opportunity to be one of the best players in the game,” said Dawson when meeting the Legion media members for the first time. “I really enjoyed my conversation with the management team here when I found out about the trade and I think Toronto will be the perfect home for me going forward.”

Dawson seemed to fall behind fellow Bear prospects Hex Rose and Phil the Rock Johnson after spending an additional season in the VHLM and there were doubts that he was ever going to be able to reach the point of other young players in the league. There were optional practices that Dawson was absent from and it seemed maybe the pressure of being on his preferred team was not working out.

Seattle stated that the deal was nothing more than giving an opportunity for Dawson to grow as a player while hoping that Funk Jr. would also become a better player through the transaction. So far since arriving in Toronto, it seems that Dawson has a point to prove and is back on the ice at any available time.

Dawson has now played 12 games with the Legion and has been a little slow out of the gate with his performance, but it’s clear that the center does have a future with the team. On the ice Dawson found chemistry out of the gate with the team’s leading scorer Oh Sens and fellow S76 draft pick Kristof Welch.

“The team has been extremely welcoming,” said Dawson. “I didn’t expect to be traded this early in my career but I’m going to make sure that Toronto appreciates making the move. This team is already one of the best in the league and I’m hoping that with a bit more time I will be able to make an impact as well.”

In his first week with the Legion, Dawson is approaching 30 practice hours and if he can hold this pace will climb back into the argument of being a top 10 player in the S76 group. The Legion are going to be hoping that he gets scoring as soon as possible as the team goes into the post-season looking for a Continental Cup. 

“I will always appreciate my time in Seattle,” Dawson concluded. “I made some great friends there but it is time to get to work with Toronto.” 

Awesome article, also glad to have you in Toronto bud you'll fit in awesome here. Your article was written fairly well and spaced out very neatly, I bring it up a lot in my reviews but spacing is awesome for me because I'm dyslexic and find it makes it easier to read articles like this. I think that you're gonna have a great time in Toronto especially with writing like this. Final review 10/10 because any Toronto article is a good one.