Eagles visits children's hospital

Greg_Di

Kids at Hospital for Sick Children get visit from Toronto Maple Leafs | The  Star

Tom Eagles took a week off from his off-season training this week in order to volunteer in his home city of Wroclaw. Tom donated and visited multiple children's hospitals in Wroclaw. Tom was seeing buying hundreds of gifts, packing up his rental truck and personally delivering to each sick child.

Tom also donated $150,000 each to 3 separate children's hospitals around the city.

" I think as players who make a pretty good salary, that we should all give back and especially to children" Tom Said " It's always such a great feeling to see a sick childs face light up when you come in and spend time with them as well as giving them their favorite toys that they can play with while they are staying at the hospital"

Tom setup activities at each hospital to bring joy to the children's lives and also taught them about the basics of hockey. Other items that were setup were pictures and autographs with fans, Hockey clinics, multiple games and one on one question period with Tom. All proceeds of these events went directly to the hospitals they were setup at.

There was also a concert for everyone involving some of the cities top children performers which was a highlight to many of the children.

The support from fans was amazing as they showed up in droves at each hospital to participate in the activities and bring extra gifts to the children. In the end an additional $50,000 for each hospital was raised by the fans.

" I think next season I will try to get the whole Calgary team involved and have them support a hospital in Calgary or maybe from there home countries " Said Tom " Especially in these times, we need to give back and help out our communities"

We spoke to a few children regarding this surprise visit.

" I was very happy to see one of my favorite players and all the people coming to make our days better " Said Peter " I got to spend some time with an actual real hockey player and also received some of my favorite toys like a Firetruck and a mini hockey stick. This was the best day of my life"

With this remarkable turnout the Wroclaw Hospitals will use the funds to help modernize the hospitals and bring in new technologies that can help in savings these children's lives. One of the hospitals also renamed one of there wards the Tom Eagles ward due to Tom's donation and fundraising efforts.

" It's always great to have something named after you but in this case all the focus should be on the kids and not on me " said Tom " I just hope that with our efforts here today we are able to make sure these children are able to live full happy lives. This is all that this is about, bringing joy and awareness to these children and hospitals that are doing their best to help them out"

Tom plans on doing something similar in Calgary once he returns from his off-season in Wroclaw.

10/10

Great story. Nice to read about VHL players making the world a better place.  The article is easy to read, it has a picture, which is a nice touch. One minor suggestion could be to play with colors to make the quotes pop out even more.

Review: This article warms my heart. It hits home for me because of personal real life situations. You did a very good job highlighting what players are willing to do for their community and that the game does really go beyond the sport itself. I do not have anything negative to say about this. Great article! 10/10