Nylen's thoughts on VHL Draft and VHLM Trade

DreMin15

Transcribed from Århus Stiftstidende , a Danish Sports News Outlet

Reporter: Hello everyone, welcome to a very special interview. Today, we have local sports star Jannik Nylen (Yah-nik Knee-lehn), now a player for the Minnesota Storm and prospect for the D.C Dragons. How does it feel to finally know where your VHL career will begin?

Nylen: Well, it feels good. I was pretty anxious during the draft. I had taken interviews for multiple teams so every time a pick of theirs came up, I got excited. 

Reporter: Is there a special feeling when you see a team not only trade in order to pick you, but shower praises while they're doing it?

Nylen: Yeah, it was definitely a special feeling. When I heard Eno start to talk about him planning on picking a guy he had wanted to take almost 10 picks earlier, I knew he was talking about me. He had mentioned that he was considering taking me at 17, so hearing that he traded for me was an amazing feeling.

Reporter: On the other hand, you yourself were traded for a pick in a draft. Was there any communication between you and the manager before or during it happening? 

Nylen: I didn't hear anything about it before hand. I was in the middle of practicing my backwards skating when our skating coach told me I had a phone call. Jiggs was letting me know that he knew the Aces probably weren't going to be great this next season, so he wanted to send me to a team that I could win on before I left the M behind. It was just a bonus that he managed to pick up a great player with the pick I got traded for. 

Reporter: How do you feel about being traded to the Storm? Are you excited for what you can do for the team?

Nylen: I'm definitely excited. So far it's looking like my buddy from Vegas, Zarek Kazcka, is going to be my defensive partner, so I'm really excited to have some sort of familiarity in the locker room. They seem like a great group of folks there and I'm really excited.

Reporter: We heard that you were a part of the Patrick Laine off-season tournament. How has that been?

Nylen: It's been great fun. I know one of the guys who was in the very first season of it. A guy named Drew Minott, played a little in the VHL but had a career ending injury, sadly. He said it was very rough around the edges back then, it's been cleaned up much more since then. I'm having a great time, It's nice to have something to do in the offseason. 

Reporter: Last question that we have time for, where do you think you'll be trying to improve the most in your game?

Nylen: I think I'm going to try to not be as much of an offensive liability. I also need to get better at not taking penalties. It's a serious flaw in my game that cost my teams games in the past.

Reporter: Thank you for your time, and good luck this season.

Nylen: Thank you!

529 Words