Ain’t no rookie no more

image.png.73f84231fea8964c2cc53bc359bbd774.png

With two full seasons in the VHL under his belt; Perry’s second season in Calgary comes with great expectation, on and off the ice. 

Perry was drafted 49th overall in the season 75 entry draft by the London United; Perry’s unusual path to professional hockey and only one full season in the VHLm with Miami made him quiet the unknown wild card. 

London took a chance on Perry and very quickly would they be rewarded, Perry burst onto the scene in training camp and would earn a first line starting role; through many ups and downs in his rookie season Perry would finish with 17 goals and 37 points in 72 games with United. 

The summer of change for London came fast and furious; with the current general manager deciding it was time to go for it; many changes were made to improve the team and that would come at the expense of some cap restraints which saw them reluctantly trade Perry to Calgary after just one season. 

image.png.00af8b8d1b0461e0a00395eb8e5becda.png

Perry would have some comfort coming to Calgary as their general manager @Ricer13 was also his general manager and the one who drafted him in the VHLm with the Miami Marauders. Ricer and Calgary obviously saw enough in Perry to give him a chance! 

With his second season well under way the Wranglers and Perry really emulated the young, fast, uptempo style of hockey; Despite some underwhelming nights on the scoreboard, Calgary was definitely a entertaining team to watch with all their young potential on display. 

Not long into his new venture in Calgary Perry would sign a one year contract extension with the club. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ea6c51657af4f1e144ebbc5d92131128.jpeg

“It was a huge move from London to Calgary but being from western Canada definitely helped me, when I was traded I was shocked honestly.... although it was an honour to wear the jersey of the team that drafted me, I was just excited to hear I was coming to Calgary” said Perry.

Perry would go on more about his potential future plans with the club, “Calgary took a chance on me and wanted me here so I wanted to show that loyalty back right away.. I’m glad we got something done and I’m excited to spend the rest of this season and next building and growing with this group and from there my family and I will go over all our options”.  

The Wranglers would fall short of the playoffs finishing with a record of 31-34-7 (69 points); Perry would go on to have career highs in goals (31), assists (41) and points (72) in 72 games, his points would lead all Wranglers throughout the regular season. 

Already heading into his 3rd season in the VHL Perry would be coming in as a pending UFA, with the expectation of the fans to continue to produce as the teams top offensive player and now being a veteran leader in the room with the top prospects of Calgary joining the team.

Wranglers have a team full of natural born leaders, Captain Luke Thornton, assistants Cowboy Prout and Steve Eso, and recently acquired veteran Andrew Su who is the leagues reigning points leader and most outstanding player! Perry would have to find his role throughout this core as a vet now! “I think I play an important role with this group! Almost like a bridge from the older and younger guys” said Perry. 

Perry is well on his way this season, leading the team in points with 50 in 35 games all while finding great chemistry with Su, Eso, and Johnson at different times; Perry’s goal is to win and to win with this team and this group; he knows now as a vet how to show that to the younger players on the team and around the league with his work on the ice and off; in the locker room, and more importantly in the community. 

image.thumb.jpeg.080feb5945fd30f9d671555e7ae48bfa.jpeg

651 words. 

Edited by tinafrombobsburgers