Nathan Powers Junior Review

JB123

Nathan Powers ~ Junior Review

Mississauga Hotels near Iceland Arena | Holiday Inn Mississauga Toronto West

Nathan Powers was born in Mississauga, Ontario Canada to a middle class family. 

Growing up, Powers always enjoyed watching and playing hockey, cheering for his favorite VHL team, the Toronto Legion. He attended his first Legion game when he was just four, and would regularly go to Mississauga Hounds’ minor league games once they were founded. 

Powers learned to skate at a young age, and picked up the game fast. He played his first season when he was five years old. He even won a tournament as the team’s goaltender when he was 10, going 4-0 with a .920 save percentage and 2.32 GAA. 

At age 12, Powers joined the Junior Legion, where he would play two seasons. He played a total of 42 games, scoring 65 points total (14 goals, 51 assists) as a defenseman. 

He joined his high school’s varsity team when he was a freshman. He would go on to play three seasons with the school, tallying 107 points (17 goals, 90 assists) in 80 games. 

His play gained the interest of a couple scouts and GMs from the VHLM, including @Juice

Rather than finishing high school, he opted to declare for the Season 77 VHLM Draft at age 17. He was drafted 57th overall by the Yukon Rush. 

In his first season with the Rush, Powers compiled 62 points (9 goals, 53 assists) in 72 games along with 112 shots blocked. Yukon missed the playoffs. 

Nathan Powers would then declare for the Season 78 VHL Draft, where he would go 9th overall to the Prague Phantoms. 

Powers and Prague both agreed another season in the minors would be best. 

Powers worked hard to improve that offseason, and so did Yukon. The Rush would win the Prime Minister’s Cup with 118 points, best in the ‘M. Powers had a good season too, scoring 108 points (21 goals, 87 assists), and 117 shot blocks. 

Powers is currently competing for the Founder’s Cup with the Rush. The Phantoms have already signed him to an entry-level contract so that he will play in the VHL next season. 

Speaking on how he’s gotten to this point, Powers said, “I’m very fortunate to be where I am right now. My family and friends are great, and the VHLM experience has been amazing. I wasn’t sure if I should go to the VHLM and leave school, but now I know I made the right decision.” 

Word Count: 407

Edited by JB123