Best Team Week 1: Vasteras IK Vs Vasteras Iron Eagles.

Horvat98

nvuv45_cCMTVuD.jpg.0b8dea65b1cf45675cba58ba6aa5387d.jpg VS 2eao3fk.png.24a90c4dd956109420bd85750bb56fa1.png

In this series I will be pitting two teams from the Victory Hockey League both past and present against each other in a tournament style competition. I'm taking players and stats and cup wins out of it and will be choosing just based on the Location, Name, and Logo. That's it. Simple right, I have compiled a list of all the teams that I could find. So who will be the best team to ever exist? Let's find out.

This week's battle is the battle of Vasteras. Now personally I was not around for Either iteration and thank god. Firstly let's look at the Names. Vasteras IK. what exactly is IK? I don't know so right away not a great look to start off with. Next the IRON EAGLES. First of all the name just sounds powerful and strong, the Iron Eagles. It's tough, robust and strong….and a little communist. First thing  that came to mind was the references to the USSR and the Iron Curtain. However, just based on names. The IK sound bland and just overall not fun to say or even exciting in the slightest.…. The Iron Eagles take this.

Next up is the LOGO. in my opinion a logo can make or break any Hockey team. Look at any team who has their name across the chest or just a stylized letter. Those are mostly weak designs.  So with the IK it's simply a Yellow deformed half circle that again gives me USSR hammer and Sickle vibes. That says VASTERAS HOCKEY.  It is simple, sure, but there's no design. You throw a weird half circle and the bricks with wings and call that a logo? Next up the Iron Eagles. You have a Coat of arms which for me is a little simplistic but when you mix it with the Eagle head looking fierce it conveys the strength thd name gives off. An eagle in a shield shows off the iron grit and toughness of the new Vasteras. So the Iron Eagles take the Logo.

Now comes the location, since both teams were in Vasteras and it simply went through a rebrand i'll give my final thoughts. I am tempted to give IK the win just based on it being one of the OG teams however my brain and heart are yelling at me. EVERYTHING about the Iron Eagles screams a better hockey team even before you put players. The Logo and Name are HUGE upgrades and make sense. The Logo matches the name and theme, I'm a sucker for Yellow so that's great also. In conclusion the VASTERAS IRON EAGLES win this matchup and will face off against the winner of The battle of Canada. Next Week

Had IK came out with a better logo and just went with Vasteras, I think they would have taken the win here. I couldn't get over the confusing Logo and the IK initials.

NEXT MATCHUP: The Toronto Legion Vs. The Calgary Wranglers. 

Edited by Horvat98

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Horvat98 said:

That seems better, sorry I forget their is a light mode

Generally speaking your best bet is to just not colour it unless you are doing so for creative reasons. Default colour on light mode will go to black and on dark mode will go to white. That way it stays visible to both.

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Generally speaking your best bet is to just not colour it unless you are doing so for creative reasons. Default colour on light mode will go to black and on dark mode will go to white. That way it stays visible to both.

anyway to fix it now?

4 minutes ago, OrbitingDeath said:

Easiest way ->

Select your text ->  CUT

Ctrl + Shift + V

This pastes your text without layout / markup, and shows it on the correct color for either mode

hows that?

Review: 9/10

Particularly as somebody who has stumped for Vasteras to return for a while, I really enjoyed your unbiased breakdown of the branding here. I found your opinions and parallels that you drew very interesting (I hadn't really seen the USSR connotations before but totally get it), which shows that you really did think about these brands critically. If there's a dock for me, it's that I'm not a huge fan of the all caps for emphasis in places like "EVERYTHING" - it reads to me like someone's shouting those words, and I think italics tends to get the point across a lot better. But that's nitpicking overall, great concept for a series and looking forward to reading more moving forward!